November 11

It was an eye-opening and exciting week for our Royals! Students enjoyed performances by the Players as well as singer Noah Guthrie, participated in a poverty stimulation and welcomed prospective students at Open House.

Read on to learn more!

Open House 2015

More than 2,000 high school students and their parents attended the University’s two Open Houses on Oct. 25 and Nov. 8. Families came from as far as Massachusetts and Virginia, but the majority of prospective students hailed from Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.

Click here for the full story and check out our album on Flickr here!

Men’s soccer team wins Landmark Conference Title, advances to NCAA Tournament

The men’s soccer team defeated Elizabethtown 3-2 and won the Landmark Conference Championship for the first time in the program’s history. The win advances the team to the NCAA Division III Men’s Soccer Tournament. Read more here.

Our women’s team fell to Catholic at their title match, but finished the season with a strong 13-4-2 record.

Poverty Simulation

Students gathered in the DeNaples Ballroom this past Friday, Nov. 6, for the Center for Service and Social Justice’s Poverty Simulation.

The Center organized the simulation to demonstrate the harsh realities of poverty to participants. Eighty-eight participants assumed the roles of 26 different families who live on low-incomes.

“This simulation was honestly something I will never forget and be forever grateful for,” said participant Megan Calascibetta ’17. “I have been on numerous service trips and retreats and, as amazing as they were, none of them personally affected me like this experience did. It was without a doubt the most eye-opening experience of my life and it gifted me with an entirely new outlook and level of gratitude toward life.”

Photo caption: Megan Calscibetta ’17 and her group built this shelter on the DeNaples patio. As part of the poverty simulation, participants had to build and sleep in outdoor shelters made of makeshift materials. 

Noah Guthrie Performance

Last Tuesday, USPB Coffeehouse presented musical artist, Noah Guthrie. Guthrie has been featured on hit television show, “Glee!,” as well as “The Voice.”

His performance included some of his own hits as well as covers of well-known songs such as “Valerie.”

Learn more about Guthrie here.

To learn more about USPB and to view a calendar of their upcoming events, click here. Don’t forget to save the date for Midnight Madness on Nov.18!

Student Spotlight: Actress for the University of Scranton Players, Latrice Smith

Latrice Smith, Class of 2017, is a member of The University of Scranton Players. Read on to find out about how acting has changed her life and her role as stage manager for “The Baltimore Waltz.”

RN: What is your favorite part about being a part of The University of Scranton Players?

LS: I love the people. They make everything I do with the Players 100 times better. I couldn’t ask for a more dedicated and caring group..

RN: What were your responsibilities as stage manager for “The Baltimore Waltz?”

LS: I was responsible for organizing rehearsals and keeping the director in touch with the set designer, costume designer, sound designer and the technical director. I ran rehearsals and kept everything organized. During the run of the show, I was in charge of actors and crew, and calling lighting and sound cues.

RN: When did you start acting?

LS: I’ve been acting since the third grade. I took a break from theater in high school, but I rediscovered my passion for it here at the U!

RN: How has being a part of the Players changed your life?

LS: I have learned more than I could have ever imagined being a part of the Players – I have learned skills that have helped me to excel in other areas of life. I’ve also been able to work with some of the most talented and dedicated mentors and students on this campus. I am a better person since joining the Players.

Photo Caption: Latrice Smith, pictured center in the bottom row, acting as Claudia in “The Rise and Rise of Daniel Rocket.”