October 12

One Junior’s Incredible Tour of #OurScranton

By: Kayla Johnson

downtownThough it was the first week of October, the sun still warmed Scranton. Blue skies and picture-perfect clouds were above. It was the ideal weather for my tour of downtown Scranton. From Northern Lights and Adezzo to Bar Pazzo and the Daisy Collective, I had my fair share of discovering to do. There were countless restaurants and shops I hadn’t even known existed, even though I’ve begun my third year at Scranton. There’s just so much to do on campus, I just never found myself walking past Osaka, a Japanese restaurant, or Northern Lights, an adorable coffee shop, when it came to exploring downtown.

“My favorite thing about living and working in downtown Scranton is the consistent growth and development that is happening all the time,” said Jessica Durkin, Community and Government Relations & SBDC assistant (as well as a resident of downtown Scranton). “We have all of the conveniences of a big city: shops, restaurants, coffeehouses, etc., with the familiarity that comes with living in a close-knit community. New businesses have been frequently appearing all over the city, something that I am very excited to see continue.”

There were a variety of shops and restaurants that I wasn’t even aware of. Bar Pazzo is a definite stop on my next visit; they have an entire gelato bar and some tasty pizza (and flavors dedicated to the fall season, which are some my favorites). The Daisy Collective, a women’s clothing shop, is new to town and has a cozy interior with chic, modern decorations. There are so many stops and places where students can sit back and relax or do some studying with friends. Adezzo, a coffee shop, offers the perfect combination of ambience and strong coffee (to power through an extra exhausting study session).

Downtown Scranton was full of surprises (the great kind!), and it made me wish I had taken the journey two years ago. So, set aside a date and take walk around downtown! You won’t regret it.

Check out my downtown tour on Snapchat here.

Experience more downtown Scranton photos on our Flickr page.