November 23

Each week, our campus correspondents are out and about taking photos and collecting stories for Campus Corner. Read their articles and highlights below! Browse photos on Flickr.

Please note that Campus Corner will be on hiatus next week, but we’ll be back on Dec. 7!

Women’s Basketball Team Looks Forward to Season

By: Megan Castaldi

As 2015-16 Landmark Conference Champions, The University of Scranton’s Women’s Basketball team has high hopes for their upcoming season.

To kick off the 2016-17 season, the Lady Royals came out victorious over Mount Union with a score of 70-36 at the Chuck Resler Invitational.

Captain Sarah Payonk is a senior. “We had a great start out of the Rochester tournament 2-0. We have a lot of room for improvement as a team and hope to continue to improve and grow as a team,” she said.

Even though a couple of valuable players graduated, the team still looks to have a successful season.

“We have a good mix of young and old this year,” said Payonk. “We have some very talented freshmen stepping into major roles on the team, and have some incredible, well-accoladed players back. I think that we’re still building chemistry with this team but have a lot of potential this season.”

The team was pleased after the Landmark Conference released its 2016 Women’s Basketball Preseason Poll foreseeing the Lady Royals winning the Conference Championship again.

“Our team goals are to win our conference and to hopefully win a national championship,” said Payonk.

To learn more about the Women’s Basketball Team, click here.

A Sunday in the Life of Professor Strain

By: Kayla Johnson

Jack Strain, Ph.D., leads a busy life – five kids, teaching at The University of Scranton and writing his books (he’s currently working on one). Whether he’s watching his students battle it out during a debate in Logical and Rhetorical Analysis, teaching how to pitch a product in his Art of the Pitch class, working on one of his several books or running errands with his wife and children, he’s on the go. This is why Prof. Strain believes (very strongly) in using Sundays to get some must needed rest, surrounded by his family.

Take a look at how Professor Strain spends a typical Sunday at home:

Rise and Shine:

So, we get up around 8 or so and make a simple breakfast because my wife makes a huge delicious spread on Saturday mornings. Coffee is an absolute must, but not without some fresh bagels or doughnuts. I always like to take a look at the Sunday paper as well and catch up on my current events.

No Days Off:

Afterward, I try to work on some grading or work for an hour or two on my latest novel, Patton’s War, which I am trying to churn out before the summer comes.

Football Fanatics:

I am a big football fan, so during the fall and winter Sunday afternoons are devoted to watching my Philadelphia Eagles with my sons.  My wife, Julie, loves football too, but – sadly – is a huge Steelers fan.

Most Amazing Meal of the Day:

Both my wife and I believe in a big traditional Sunday dinner with the whole family.  Luckily for the kids and me, Julie does most of the cooking.  She is an amazing cook, so Sunday dinners include big roasts, stews and even Turkey dinners that she decides to whip up as a special surprise for everyone.

Prepare for Monday:

Nighttime is spent getting lunches made, kids squared away for school the next morning, then my wife and I like to chill out on the couch and watch an episode or two of whatever TV series we are powering through. This year we finished off “Homeland,” “Billions,” “House of Cards,” “The Americans” and now are working through “Shameless.”

Family Time:

With five kids and two demanding careers, life moves fast during the week but Sundays are about family and making time so my wife and I can relax, recharge our batteries and make “us” time whenever possible.