Aug. 30: Solar Eclipse 2017, Plus Fall Club Fair

The Fall Club Fair 2017

By: Kayla Johnson

On Friday afternoon, the University of Scranton’s Club and Organization Office hosted the Fall Club Fair on the Dionne Green. The fair provided a number of various different clubs for any student looking to join in a multitude of activities on campus- ranging in anything from Colleges against Cancer, Relay for Life, Urban Beats Crew, PRSSA, Campus Ministries, International Business Club and so much more! No matter what your interests or hobbies, there was sure to be a fit for anyone willing to join a club.

If you missed out on the Club Fair, check out Royal Sync for upcoming club meetings.

Check out our Flickr for more pictures of the event.

Watch Party: The Solar Eclipse 2017

By: Kayla Johnson

On Aug. 21, the University of Scranton gathered together to share in a once-in-a-lifetime experience- the first total solar eclipse since Feb. 26, 1979. Equipped with their solar eclipse glasses- some homemade, some bought- the students and faculty collected outside of the Loyola Science Center and all over campus to sneak a peek at the eclipse.

“It was just one of those things you need to take a minute to sit back and see, it’s rare and special and we were lucky enough to experience it in our lifetimes,” said Nicole Borrelli, a senior.

Stay tuned for the sister lunar eclipse that is set to appear on Jan. 31, 2018.

Check out photos from the solar eclipse on Flickr

USPB Welcome Week

By: Kassie Dunn

There really isn’t anything more nerve-wracking than the start of a new semester as a freshman and not knowing what to expect from each of your classes. We are lucky enough to have the extremely helpful advisors here at the University that make you feel more than welcome to ask questions and seek help!

As a junior, the biggest skill I have learned would be to have good time management skills. A lot of teachers have their entire semester planned out, so I find it helpful to make a set schedule of when to study. We asked some students and faculty for their advice for the start of a successful new year. Here are some tips you won’t want to miss!

Faculty tips:

• “Go to class, try, and don’t be afraid to ask for help!” – Bryn Schofield, administrative assistant to CAS associate dean
  • “Give undivided attention and heart to those whom you serve. The person who is in front of you is the most important person and this is how you encounter God in your life.” -Dr. Maria Oreshkina, Education Department Chair, director of Graduate Programs

Student tips:

• “I like to get my assignments done right when I get them so I don’t feel overwhelmed when the due dates catch up to me and all fall on the same week.” – Kaela Farrell ’19, PCPS student
  • “Don’t  be afraid to go to the Dean’s office if an advisor can’t help you. They can clarify whatever questions you have if an advisor is unsure.” – Bethany Walsh ’19, CAS student
  • “It’s good to get to know your advisors, but be respectful and patient because it is important to remember that while they are always available to help, they are also helping a lot of other people too.” – Lizzie Asmar, ’19, KSOM student

One last piece of advice is to utilize all of the resources we have here on campus. The tutoring center, our advisors, the library and, most importantly, your professors are all options that can help you better your education. Everyone wants you to succeed, and thankfully we have the tools to do so!

Meet this year’s Royal News Correspondents!

Class year: 2018

Major: Strategic communication, public relations track, business leadership minor

Hometown: Allentown, PA

Hi, my name is Kayla Johnson, and I’m currently a senior at the University of Scranton. My major is strategic communication with a public relations (PR) concentration and a minor in business leadership. My hopes are to open and run my own PR firm after college (fingers crossed)! The U is my home away from home, where I’ve met countless amazing friends, inspiring professors, and awesome staff. I wouldn’t want to call anywhere else my home and couldn’t have asked for a better community.

Class year: 2019

Major: Marketing

Hometown: West Chester, PA

My name is Kassie Dunn and I am a junior here at the University of Scranton. I am a marketing major hoping to work in the fashion and design industry after I graduate in 2019. I live in West Chester, PA when I’m not at school and I like to spend as much of my summer down the shore in Sea Isle, New Jersey with my family.