Behind the Scenes: Fresh Food Co.

We’ve all eaten at the Fresh Food Co. on the third of the Denaples Center, but chances are you’ve just lovingly dubbed it “Third.”

Saturday brunches, upscale Wednesdays and the ever-rare, yet coveted, ice cream sandwich station are three of the many reasons why it’s captured your heart as a Scranton hallmark.

However, the food doesn’t just magically appear every time you swipe your Royal. It takes a team of dedicated cooks and staff to bring Third to life.

Kelena Gonzalez, the mastermind behind the Southwest Vegetarian station, gave a behind-the-scenes look into our beloved third-floor.

Q: What’s your all-time favorite dish to make?

A: I love making southwest sweet potatoes with a black bean corn salsa. It’s so colorful and good for you, and the kids always love it.

Q: When are you the busiest?

A: There’s really not a day that’s busier than another, but it is always, always crowded at noon.

Q: What’s one thing about dining services that students might not know?

A: Everything is always fresh. A lot of places say that, but we really mean it. I feel like the students might know that already.

Q: How do you prepare for your noon rushes?

A: I just make sure I have all of my products ready to go. I make sure I have enough plates counted too.

Q: What’s the relationship like between the cooks and staff?

A: We’re really all a big family. We’re all friends, and that’s why we work so well together.