Club Spotlight: Bible Club

Michael Diehl is the president of The University of Scranton Bible Club. He is a sophomore forensic accounting major and Spanish minor from Hopewell Junction, New York. We caught up with him to ask him about what goes on in Bible Club.

How long has Bible Club been active?

Bible Club has been active since spring 2017. The former president, Tim Zinna, started the club during the spring of his junior year and continued to run it through the following year until he graduated.

Do you have to be Christian to come and learn about the Bible?

There is no religious requirement for coming to Bible Club. We have people from many different walks of faith. Our only goal is to look at what the Bible says and what it is supposed to mean for our lives and our understanding of God. We encourage anyone to come regardless of how much prior knowledge they have. In fact, unfamiliarity with the Bible is the reason all of us attend.

Where did your passion for Bible Study begin?

I grew up in a family that encouraged faith in God and Jesus Christ. I was lucky to have a dad who taught me almost all of what I know about the Bible from a very young age. However, taking Intro to Theology with Dr. Cohen during my freshman year showed me that I still have quite a bit to learn. I believe that no matter how much someone knows the Bible, there is always something more you can learn. There is always a new question to explore or a new topic to dive into. My experiences have shown me that time and time again. Bible Club is just another way to dig deeper with friends from our community here at Scranton. 

Do you have a favorite scripture verse?

That is always a hard question to answer and it seems to change on a regular basis. But presently I will go with 1 Corinthians 13:13: “And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.” 

Studying the Bible can be difficult at times, what’s your advice to anyone trying to learn?

There is no doubt it can be hard! In fact, that is one of the main reasons Bible Club exists! Nobody has all of the answers. That is why I would suggest finding someone to talk to about it. If you want to start somewhere, I would point to the gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John). Those are the books about Jesus’ life. Most everything else leads to that point. Also, they are much more practical and easier to understand than a lot of the Bible. There is no one set way to read the Bible. But there is no saying that you have to start from the beginning. Wherever you choose, find someone to talk with about it. Someone you can bounce ideas off of and try to come to a better understanding. And also, there is an app called ReadScripture which basically gives a 5-10 minute video on each book of the Bible, giving a great visual description of the main ideas. That is just one quick easy way to dig in. 

How does faith shape your life at Scranton?

Faith shapes a lot of what I do at Scranton. One of my favorite parts about this school is that it encourages everyone to explore and dig deeper into the aspects of faith and what it means. Going to Bible club is just one of my favorite ways to do that. I also go to a church off campus called Grace Bible Church which holds a college group meeting every Thursday night. They provide free dinner along with a Bible study. Both of these groups really help to bring people together into a community which loves and supports one another. In the end, I hope to allow God to guide me in all aspects of college whether that be going to class, meeting new friends, deciding a major, or just about anything else. That way, I trust that I will end up in a better spot than if I just did things my own way. 

How can a student become involved?

Any student is welcome to attend any of our meetings. There are no dues, we do not take attendance, and there are no additional obligations for a club member. Anyone can come to a meeting and take a look at what we do. We even will provide Bibles for those who don’t have one with them. 

Bible Club meets in St. Thomas hall room 410 from 7-8 p.m. every Wednesday.