Royals’ Resolutions 2019

The New Year is a time for a fresh start. While a new date on the calendar doesn’t necessarily indicate major life changes, there seems to be a hopefulness and aspiration to be better when December fades into January. Whether it’s breaking bad habits, implementing healthier lifestyle choices or just sprinkling subtle hints of positive changes into your everyday life, there are countless ways to enhance yourself and start anew. Here are some ways our fellow Royals are turning New Year’s resolutions into New Year’s Revolutions to make 2019 one for the books.

Our own John Norcross, professor of psychology who has done research in this area, said that you should stay positive.

“My New Year’s resolution is to spend less time on social media since it seems to consume me for hours. Being back at school has actually helped with the resolution since school and friends keep me busy and away from checking my phone constantly.”
-Maveli Espitia, ’20

“My New Year’s resolution this year is to find more balance in both my daily life and overall lifestyle.  This means taking more time to critically reflect on what makes me happy and what moves me forward into becoming the person I want to me. I struggle to do this on this campus because it is so tempting to get involved with everything that comes your way and then become overwhelmed as a result. I have been able to cut back on a few commitments that I felt were tipping my balance last semester, so that’s a nice feeling. I’m still figuring it all out. Finding balance is a lifelong process so there’s no use in rushing it or wasting energy trying to control every aspect at all times.”
-Colleen Boyle, ’20

“I want to be more environmentally friendly — I’ve been more cautious with my actions, such as reducing plastic use (through reusable cups), turning off the lights and unplugging items when not in use, carpooling. But I’ve also been more aware about the effects of dairy and meat agriculture. So I’ve been trying all kinds of non-dairy milk, meatless “meat” replacements and more. Not only does it help the environment, but it also helps my health! I also want to do what’s best for me — I’ve never been a selfish person and have always prioritized others, but it has gotten me in some pretty bad places where I’m not happy. So I’m being a lot more communicative with how I feel and how I perceive things. I’m speaking up and standing up for myself, and putting myself first at times when I should. My mental health is a lot better than it was last semester, and I’m just a happier being without changing the good parts about myself.”
-Elise Molleur, ’20