Singing Keeps Students’ Hands Clean

Global Handwashing Day, which took place last week, is an annual celebration, but this year it held a little more weight than usual. At the beginning of the pandemic, people were reminded to wash their hands for at least 20 seconds. Many songs were suggested to keep people at their sink for long enough. Originally, the songs of choice were happy birthday or the ABCs.

Adrianna Duranti, a senior exercise science major, likes to take a festive approach to keeping her hands clean. Duranti sings “Jingle Bells” to make sure she washes her hands for at least 20 seconds. Duranti said she likes the song more as the holiday season gets closer.

Adrianna Duranti 21

“Handwashing is such an important part of keeping other people healthy,” Duranti said, “I love the holiday season, so singing Jingle Bells when I wash my hands makes it even more fun.”

Duranti has also tried to use other songs like “Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer,” “Santa Baby” and “All I Want for Christmas is You.” Among all the holiday songs, Duranti said Jingle Bells works the best.

“’Jingle Bells’ just fits better than all of the other songs I’ve tried, not to mention it’s my favorite,” Dunanti said.

Regan Hughes is a senior middle grades education major with a concentration in math. She is a fan of country music and likes to use different country songs when washing her hands. Her favorites are “If I Know Me” by Morgan Wallet and “Yours” by Russel Dickerson.

Hughes said humming country music makes the time go by faster when she washes her hands.

Regan Hughes ’21

“I always do my best to wash my hands for 20 seconds and signing some of my favorite songs just makes it a lot easier to actually do,” Hughes said.

Justin Reagan ’21

Justin Reagan is a senior biochemistry major. Reagan enjoys listening to rap music and sings along to various songs in that genre when washing his hands. He said he tries to keep himself and others as healthy as he can, and that starts with consistently washing his hands.

“Twenty seconds seems like a long time, but it’s way easier to do when I entertain myself with some music,” Reagan said. “It’s not only fun to sing along, but it makes it way easier to keep myself and others healthy.”

The rap music Reagan uses allows him to enjoy the time washing his hands instead of viewing it as a chore. Reagan said he tries to get creative and pick a new song every time he has to wash his hands.

“I listen to a lot of different songs, and my favorites are always changing,” Reagan said, “This makes it easy for me to pick a handful of new songs when I get bored of the ones I’ve been using to switch it up and keep things interesting.”

The CDC offers a more in-depth guide to washing hands and staying safe and healthy this fall and winter season, find it here.