Little Pumpkins

Although I’ve been taking advantage of off-campus Halloween related events, I’ve realized over the past few weeks that the University itself has so much going on for this spooky time of year.

Halloween-21

This past Sunday was the college’s annual Safe Trick or Treat that takes place in the DeNaples Center and Residence Halls on campus. Children from local agencies such as Friends of the Poor and United Neighborhood Centers, are escorted by students through dorm halls collecting candy from room to room, giving them an opportunity to, you guessed it, trick or treat in a safe environment. After the kids collect their candy, the day is filled with games, crafts and plenty of fun activities. Seeing a bunch of toddlers dressed up in adorable Halloween costumes trotting around campus was a fun way to start off the morning.

While I was walking to dinner last night, I noticed quite a few students holding pumpkins. One of the student clubs is currently hosting a pumpkin carving contest! Tomorrow afternoon, first, second and third place winners will be picked all earning a prize of a different amount of flex money. (Flex dollars are amounts of money on your Royal card used specifically for the campus stores and food court). If only I was artistic enough for this!

how-to-carve-pumpkin35

Although October is undoubtedly a fun-filled month, it sadly cannot take away from the dreaded college assignments. I’ve noticed, more so this month than the past two, that distractions are inescapable! I love being with my friends but lately I have definitely had to hide myself away in the library to finish my work efficiently. But one thing I have kept in mind since I’ve been in school is this; it’s okay to say no! It is completely okay to tell your friends you can’t hang out because of that 5 page paper you need to start or that exam you have tomorrow morning. It is fine to complete homework by yourself and it is absolutely normal to want some quiet alone time. While you might think you’re the only student who feels this way, you’re not! I say this now because this is one of the first instances of having a constant flow of excitement surrounding me. (If it’s like this for Halloween I can only imagine Christmastime! But I won’t jump ahead)

On that note, back to the essay I need to write! Have a great week and Happy Halloween 🙂

Catherine E. Bombard

Hi! My name's Catherine, but you can call me Catie and I'm a sophomore from Wayne, NJ here at the University of Scranton. I'm an English major, Communication minor hoping to have a career in publishing one day. I'm a member and the publicist of Octaves, an a cappella group on campus, along with being a writer and editor for The Aquinas, the student newspaper. Thanks for checking out the student blogs and I hope you enjoy hearing about my "Scranton Experience"! :)