Freshman Year Part Two

Six weeks. Almost 2 months ago I was saying “See you soon!” to my roommate, friends, professors and everyone in between, ready to begin my long anticipated winter break! While most students here will say their vacation was fun but seemed to drag, I have to disagree. Six weeks is definitely a long time, but before I knew it, it was time to pack my suitcases for the second time and head back to Scranton.

We’re now on to week number two of the spring semester! Although I was apprehensive about having enough time to buy books, supplies and prepare for class, we were lucky enough to have a snow day on the FIRST Monday back! All the girls on my floor were saying we would definitely have a snow day, but I couldn’t help thinking, “Why would they want to cancel classes on the first day back?” Alas, when I received the morning call I was ecstatic and had absolutely no problem snuggling right back into bed. What’s even better? The fact that we had another snow day THIS past Monday! Two three-day weekends in a row; who could complain about that?

A concept most prospective college students look forward to is the idea of being able to pick their own classes; and I don’t blame them! Having the freedom to (for the most part) choose not just a class itself, but its time and professor, is awesome. Last semester, I had morning classes every single day. While it was nice to finish classes by noon, I always wished I knew what it was like to attend an afternoon class. Thankfully, I had no problem doing so this semester! I was able to pick two interesting courses that run from 2:30-3:45 and 4:00-5:15 PM. I finally have a sense of what going to class later in the day feels like, plus I’m able to sleep in!  As odd as it may seem, I’m incredibly excited to see where my academics take me this semester and I can’t wait to write more in my blog about my courses.

After a few weeks of being home over break, I started to miss quite a few things about Scranton. Most importantly, I missed a cappella! To no surprise, I was overjoyed yesterday when we had our first official Octaves rehearsal. It felt so great to be back singing with this amazing group of musicians, especially knowing we have an awesome song list for the spring. However, it is not only the songs that have me excited about this semester, but the many events we’ll be singing at, such as the campus Relay for Life and a collaboration concert with West Chester University! Being involved in the group was truly one of the best decisions I made last semester, but I hope to become even more involved on campus this semester—potentially joining the radio station or the school newspaper. 

Six weeks ago, I hadn’t put much, well really, any thought into how great this semester could be.  Now that I’m back, I feel nothing but motivated! Once again, I am absolutely thrilled to be able to share my experience with those reading my blog 🙂 Although it has only been a week, so far so good.

Until next time,

Catie

Catherine E. Bombard

Hi! My name's Catherine, but you can call me Catie and I'm a sophomore from Wayne, NJ here at the University of Scranton. I'm an English major, Communication minor hoping to have a career in publishing one day. I'm a member and the publicist of Octaves, an a cappella group on campus, along with being a writer and editor for The Aquinas, the student newspaper. Thanks for checking out the student blogs and I hope you enjoy hearing about my "Scranton Experience"! :)