Creating Men and Women for Others

There were of course many aspects of the University that drew me to apply last September, but one prominent aspect was the idea of being able to study at a Jesuit college. I attended a private catholic school for about seven years before heading off to a public high school, so the idea of being able to study at a school with an religious affiliation again was appealing and truly hit home. Coming to a university with hundreds of students with similar beliefs, morals and goals was definitely something I knew I couldn’t resist. I was reminded of this yesterday as two of my friends and I decided to celebrate Ash Wednesday at one of the four masses that were going on on campus. Services are usually held in the Madonna della Strada Chapel, which is just up the street, but this time was held in the ballroom of the fourth floor of DeNaples.

And no wonder why it was held in the ballroom; there was a plethora of students! Unfortunately, I’d be lying if I said I was a “perfect” Catholic that went to church every Sunday while I’m at school, but Lent and the Easter season is such a beautiful time I knew I couldn’t miss this special mass. While I was sitting amongst potentially one hundred or more fellow Royals, I couldn’t feel more at home, even at ease: the feeling I knew I would get being at the University.

In the first three weeks of this semester, I think I’ve noticed more than ever the incredible sense of community here as opposed to any other school. Every single one of my professors has been enthusiastic, warm and incredibly interactive. I hear appalling stories all the time from my friends back home about how their professors are impersonal, uninterested in their students or even down right rude. There really is a difference in the academics and instructors here at Scranton compared to any other public university. I know my professors are teaching not merely for their subject, but to encourage students to think outside the box. To think about how we are learning rather than to just receive a degree, so we can broaden our horizons to become all around better individuals in our community. The Jesuit ideal that is stressed almost everyday here at the University is the mission to create men and women for others.

We were reminded of this as Father Rick Malloy presented his homily. Although technically we should be bettering ourselves throughout the entire year, Lent is truly the season of giving, helping and opening up our minds and hearts for others. I am so grateful and lucky that I attend a university that strives to not just teach the best students, but to raise all around stellar individuals.

Until next time,

Catie 🙂

Catherine E. Bombard

Hi! My name's Catherine, but you can call me Catie and I'm a sophomore from Wayne, NJ here at the University of Scranton. I'm an English major, Communication minor hoping to have a career in publishing one day. I'm a member and the publicist of Octaves, an a cappella group on campus, along with being a writer and editor for The Aquinas, the student newspaper. Thanks for checking out the student blogs and I hope you enjoy hearing about my "Scranton Experience"! :)

One thought on “Creating Men and Women for Others

1. This is a very thoughtful commentary on Lent at scranton.changing for the better and opening up your heart to Jesus and the Holy Sprit will change your view of life . As you grow in harmony with the Lord you will see his hand I all your life choices. The shame is that many of us do not look for him or even think of all the things that are for us or not for us by him.