Freshman Farewells

Wow. Wow is really all I can say right now!

It is unbelievable to think that back in September I sat on my bed, dorm fully decorated and filled, to write my first post as a freshman blogger. And now here I am, seven months later, sitting in the same spot but in a half-empty, packed up dorm, typing the last post of freshman year.

1551741_10203763833070694_8552559715496926848_n10521177_10205673718856645_8875860443528930332_n

This might be the hardest entry I’ve had to write; it has been quite the year! I underestimated how difficult it would be to capture, in however many words, my first-year Scranton experience. But if there’s one thing I can admit right off the bat, it’s that I am truly grateful for choosing Scranton as my home away from home. From the moment I took my first steps on campus back in August as an official Royal, I knew there was something about this place that set it apart from other colleges. And I can honestly say that feeling has been consistent throughout both semesters.

While this may come as a shock to those reading, I can’t say Scranton was my first choice school. Then again, I really didn’t have a top choice at all! As a high school senior, I was pretty lost when it was college decision time. It was not until the end of the summer, after I had a conversation with my mom, that I realized the University was the place for me (yes, as scary as it sounds I wasn’t whole-heartedly into Scranton until AFTER I committed!). I finally noticed how much the the school had to offer: a beautiful campus, good food, a friendly community, my major, music opportunities, service opportunities, etc. I’m so thankful that I was able to experience ALL of this and more! On top of that, I’ve met some of the greatest people, whether they were professors or friends, I know will forever have a special place in my heart.

11156123_10206566058375263_6818540448310475294_n10990012_935710803107152_2605563656165898548_n

I was lucky enough to spend some time grabbing coffee with my good friend Jim earlier today. Jim is currently a senior at the University who I met through Octaves, and although hanging out with him is always great, I know the conversation we had today will definitely stick with me throughout the rest of my four years here. Since we are on complete opposite ends of the school spectrum (I just finished my first year as he is about to graduate!), he shared with me his words of wisdom about college life. Jim reminded me how important it is appreciate absolutely everything, even the seemingly most boring of classes, and to take advantage of all the U has to offer. “It goes by so fast. College will change you, for the better of course. You’re going to be a different person when you leave and seeing what you become is going to be incredible.” It is surreal to think that in three years I’ll be in his shoes preparing for graduation. 

Although it’s only been one year for me, I already know what Jim told me is 100% true. I’ve learned a ton this year. I have learned so much about myself, about school, about those around me, about friendships, relationships, decision making, stepping out of my comfort zone, the importance of reaching out for help when it’s necessary, and being open-minded. But the learning really has only just begun! And as sad as I am to see freshman year come and go in the blink of an eye, I remind myself that it is still the beginning. My Scranton story is only 1/4th of the way done! It can only get better from here.

I can’t wait to see what sophomore year has in store for me! I hope everyone has an amazing, relaxing, fun-filled summer and I’ll be back to write in the fall. See you then 🙂 !

-Catie 

Bw9xdkGIgAE7OBf

Catherine E. Bombard

Hi! My name's Catherine, but you can call me Catie and I'm a sophomore from Wayne, NJ here at the University of Scranton. I'm an English major, Communication minor hoping to have a career in publishing one day. I'm a member and the publicist of Octaves, an a cappella group on campus, along with being a writer and editor for The Aquinas, the student newspaper. Thanks for checking out the student blogs and I hope you enjoy hearing about my "Scranton Experience"! :)