Musicals, Lacrosse and More!

I’m excited to announce that for the second time this semester the temperature reached 60 degrees! Sunday was an absolutely gorgeous day. Consistent spring weather is, hopefully, right around the corner. I am always reminded how much I love my campus when the snow is melted and the sun is always shining.

This week will be quite the busy one. However, I’ve recently noticed that, for some reason, I love the beginning of a week! Unlike most people, I don’t dread Mondays! I’m convinced this new found attitude is the result of a sorcerer or fairy casting a spell on me, but I won’t argue it.

7e859b95f666115c5bc052093b58cc2e

Of course some of my days seem never ending I’ve been having such great experiences this semester. From taking enjoyable classes, to singing my heart out at a cappella, to editing the newspaper I’m always positively anxious to see what each week has in store for me. My first month of spring semester, February, has come and gone. I hate to see the days go by so fast! Maybe that’s why I have a newfound love for Monday’s. Each week is a new beginning and when Friday approaches so quickly, it’s sometimes a little bit sad.

As I said, this week will be a busy one! I’m writing two articles for the upcoming issue of the Aquinas, the U’s student newspaper. One required me to step a little bit outside my comfort zone: writing a preview article for the school’s women’s lacrosse team! The sports editor has become one of my closest friends on campus and I was super excited to write for him. In this one piece I was able to learn a lot about sports writing from him and our editor-in-chief.

The second article is for my and Emma’s section, Arts & Life, and it is another preview article. This one is focused on the University Players production of Big Fish! I’m looking looking forward to interviewing cast members tomorrow and writing this piece because not only do I love the stellar productions of the Players, but this month the production is a musical! The Players for the most part, lean more towards merely plays rather than musicals, but every two years they bring one to the stage. I’ll definitely be in the audience watching next week. 🙂 I’ve been so caught up in “editor life” of the Aquinas this semester that I have not had the chance to publish an article yet, but now I’ll have two.

Another matter of high importance this week will be to spend time studying for the grammar exam. Yes, you read that right…a grammar exam!

All communication students (whether it’s a major or minor) are required to pass the grammar exam. Whether it’s word choice or part of speech recognition, you can almost guarantee to see it on this exam! The first attempt for the test is scheduled for next Friday. Although I’ve been reviewing grammar rules and techniques in my Writing for Communication course, it’s now time to really get crackin on studying.

That’s all for this now! I’ll be back next week with follow ups on how everything this week goes 🙂

Catherine E. Bombard

Hi! My name's Catherine, but you can call me Catie and I'm a sophomore from Wayne, NJ here at the University of Scranton. I'm an English major, Communication minor hoping to have a career in publishing one day. I'm a member and the publicist of Octaves, an a cappella group on campus, along with being a writer and editor for The Aquinas, the student newspaper. Thanks for checking out the student blogs and I hope you enjoy hearing about my "Scranton Experience"! :)