I’m going to dinner in an hour, so I have food on my mind right now. The University of Scranton has several locations where students can purchase food or use their meal plan. Here’s a rundown of some of the key features of each dining facility.
1. Fresh Food Company: Aramark’s college food center is located on the 3rd floor of the DeNaples Center. At more than 10 stations, students can choose food freshly prepared on site. There is a fully stocked salad bar as well, and two soups are provided daily. Students can use their meal plans or purchase a visit to the Fresh Food Company. The great thing is that it’s an all-you-can-eat dining center! Another well-loved aspect of the FFC is Upscale Wednesday, when one entree served (at a higher price) is of a higher quality. The menu is available online.
2. DeNaples Food Court: The food court on the 1st floor of the DeNaples Center serves grab-and-go salads, pizza, and chain foods. Stations include Quiznos, Zoca, Chik-fil-a, and a hamburger grill. Other quick foods like yogurt, fruit, chips, bagels, and cookies are available. Students can use their meal plans for one entree/drink and flex/royal/cash for any additional purchases. The “late night” swipe (from 8-11 PM) can only be used at this food court.
3. Mulberry Street Food Court: The smaller food court beneath the Montrone and Pillarz apart buildings serves homestyle meals and made-to-order sandwiches, paninis, and salads. The food court is connected to a POD, which is similar to a convenience store. Students can use their meal plans for one entree.
4. Bleecker Street Café: This Panera-like café is located on the 1st floor of the Loyola Science Center. Bakery items, drinks, salads, sandwiches, and soups can be purchased. (Their cookies are to die for!) Sadly, students cannot use their meal plans at this location.
5. Hyland Café: Anyone who has ever trekked down to Hyland Hall for a class will agree that Hyland Café provides the perfect pick-me-up before or after class. At the corner of Kressler and Linden Streets, Hyland serves soups, salads, sandwiches, and a great cup of joe. Students can occupy comfy booths and sofas on the 1st floor of Hyland Hall to enjoy their food. Students cannot use their mail plans at the café.
Personally, my favorite dining location is a tie between the Fresh Food Company and Bleecker Street. I love the fact that I can eat multiple dishes at the FFC for only 1 meal swipe, but the sandwiches at Bleecker Street make the best lunches!