These Are a Few of My Favorite Things…

The Spring Semester has arrived with full force! So far I am incredibly pleased with the courses I enrolled in this semester. I thought it might be interesting for you all to hear about 3 of my favorite classes.

1. T/RS 490: The Life and Afterlife of Saint Paul. This Theology course is the capstone seminar for all Theology and Religious Studies majors this year. Majors must take the seminar either in their junior or senior year. The topic of the seminar changes according to the teacher who is leading the seminar each year. I love the environment of this class: it’s a group of 11 students around a small table discussing the letters of St. Paul once a week. We’re all Theology nerds, so it’s a delight to discuss the history, meaning, and impact of the Pauline epistles in such intimacy. Because we only meet once a week, the work load is pretty heavy (one epistle + 2-3 secondary sources). However, it’s a good amount of material to keep us discussing for the entire 2 and ½ hours of class time. Yesterday, we discussed Paul’s letter to the Galatians and Martin Luther’s enormously influential interpretation of it.
  2. T/RS 386H: Mariology. This Theology course is a tutorial in the Honors Program. Our class is small — only 3 students! — and we meet once a week in my professor’s office. Like the Capstone, there is a lot of reading, but it’s been incredibly enjoyable. The topic of the class is the Blessed Virgin Mary. We read an article on Mary’s shadowy appearances in the Old Testament last week, and now we are discussing her periodical appearances in the gospels. I always wish this class could go on longer; that’s how much I enjoy it!
  3. PHIL 341J: The Subject and Medieval Thought. This Philosophy course is a junior-level course in the SJLA Honors Program. Because the SJLA group has been taking classes with each other for the past three years, we know one another very well and have a great time in class. The pleasure of learning with friends is only augmented by our energetic teacher, who somehow manages to make tedious medieval writing exciting and mind-blowing without dumbing it down. We always roar with laughter at some demonstration (for example, we played charades the other day to see if, as St. Augustine argued, we cannot learn anything from signs signifying things or signs signifying other signs). It’s obvious that our professor has an intense respect and love for medieval thinking in all of its obscurity, and that makes for a marvelous class.

Ms. Juliana C. Vossenberg

Hello! My name is Juliana Vossenberg, and I hail from Fredericksburg, Virginia. I am a sophomore Theology/Religious Studies major with Biology and Philosophy minors. In addition, I am on the pre-medicine track and in the Special Jesuit Liberal Arts Honors Program. I sing in the Performance Choir, am a member of the Health Professions Organization, and work as a writing fellow at the CTLE's Writing Center.