AOTA Conference Time

So, as you all know I am an occupational therapy major and a member of the American Occupational Therapy Association.  Every year, the AOTA holds a national conference where occupational therapists and students come together for a eventful weekend.  This year the AOTA Conference is being held in Baltimore, Maryland, not too far from us here in Scranton.  This is exciting as it allows an opportunity for student and faculty to attend the conference for the weekend and take part in all it has to offer.

There are many reasons to attend an AOTA Conference, even as a student.  First, it is an absolutely fantastic learning experience.  Presentations are made about a wide array of topics so you can attend those that are of interest to you.  There are poster sessions where various posters on research projects are displayed around the room for you to look at and ask questions about.

Second, going to conference is a great way to make connections with occupational therapists who are working in the field.  Although I still have another year of school, I think it is never too early to start making connections with professionals who may be able to help with employment or in other ways in the future.

Also, it is a great idea to attend conference while you are still a student because you get discounted rates for the hotel and the actual conference.  Especially this year since  Baltimore is within driving distance!  Anyway, I am really looking forward to attending the conference and sharing my experience with you all.

As a side note, the Men’s and Women’s Basketball teams will be playing the playoff semi-finals game tonight, Wednesday February 26th.  The men’s game will begin at 5:30pm and the women’s at 7pm.  Come out and show your school spirit wearing your “Wolf Pack” shirts to show your support for both teams.  They both had amazing seasons and we wish them the best of luck as playoffs begin.  Good luck to both teams!

Have a great week!

Kara

Ms. Kara R. DeRosa

Hi everyone. My name is Kara DeRosa and I am from Staten Island, NY. Currently, I am in my 5th year as a University of Scranton student in the Occupational Therapy Master's Graduate program. As an undergrad, I was actively involved in the Student Occupational Therapy Association and still currently help out with events as needed. I also participate in intramural sports, as well as various community service events and research groups with OT faculty. I lived on-campus my first 3 years as a student but now live in an off-campus apartment. My younger sister also attends the University of Scranton and is a junior nursing major. Please feel free to comment on my posts with any questions you may have or if you are interested in getting more information about anything! Happy reading :)