POTA Conference

This weekend I had the amazing opportunity to present at the Pennsylvania Occupational Therapy Association Conference. The fall semester of my senior year, I took an evidence based research class. Throughout the duration of the semester, I worked on and completed an almost 30 page research paper. At the end of the semester, I (with the help of my amazing professor) submitted a proposal to present at conference and sure enough, got accepted!!

Last week,I spent almost 2 hours working with my teacher to put the main points of my paper onto a poster. Then, this weekend I traveled to King of Prussia, PA along with some other classmates who were also accepted to present my research findings in a poster presentation.

I had never been to an OT conference before so was not sure what to expect. When we first got there, I signed in and had about an hour to enjoy before my presentation began. I decided to walk around the exhibit hall where a few dozen tables were set up. Schools were there to talk about their OT education programs and practitioners from various practice settings were there talking about their specific role in the field. I also got some free stuff so that was cool too!

Here is me with my poster at conference!

Following the conference, we enjoyed a delicious meal with some of our OT professors and that was a lot of fun. Our professors continued to remind us how proud they were and how accomplished we should feel. When I was giving my poster, I had multiple people say to me in shock, “Wow, there are a lot of people here from the University of Scranton!” There 15 presenters from our school!! That’s quite a large number in comparison to other schools.

I look forward to hopefully presenting again at future conferences and am grateful that I had the opportunity to do so already.

Have a good week!

Ms. Kara R. DeRosa

Hi everyone. My name is Kara DeRosa and I am from Staten Island, NY. Currently, I am in my 5th year as a University of Scranton student in the Occupational Therapy Master's Graduate program. As an undergrad, I was actively involved in the Student Occupational Therapy Association and still currently help out with events as needed. I also participate in intramural sports, as well as various community service events and research groups with OT faculty. I lived on-campus my first 3 years as a student but now live in an off-campus apartment. My younger sister also attends the University of Scranton and is a junior nursing major. Please feel free to comment on my posts with any questions you may have or if you are interested in getting more information about anything! Happy reading :)