The End is Nearing

I have some exciting news! For my faculty mentor research course, we have been putting together our project all semester and have finally finished! Our research topic is looking at a comparison of assessments used by occupational therapists with patients who have sustained a stroke. One of the professors who works in the OT department still practices at John Heinz Institute for Rehabilitation in Wilkes Barre, PA. She will be giving the assessments to patients at the hospital and collecting the data for us to analyze and gather results.

In order to complete any research project, an IRB proposal must be submitted for approval. The IRB form is very lengthy and requires a lot of research and detailed explanation of the research project you plan to complete. My group and I worked together to complete this almost 20 page long document. This is just the first step in our year long project. Once our proposal is accepted the practicing OT can start to collect data.

Next semester, we will continue to work on this research project, analyzing the data collected. I am really looking forward to this part of the project where we can see results and evidence for which assessment is most appropriate to be used with clients who have sustained a stroke. During my level II fieldwork this past summer, the majority of patients I treated had sustained a stroke. I am very interested to see what the results of our research show about which assessment is best to be used with this population.

At the end of the spring semester, we have what is called Scholarship Day. At this event, all of the OT students’ parents come to the University and we present the findings our research project. According to our professors, this is a really exciting day. Proud parents get to see the hard work of their children and it’s basically our last big project as OT graduate students. I am looking forward to see the look on my parents face when I am giving my presentation!

PSA: 15 days until Thanksgiving!!!!

Enjoy 🙂

Ms. Kara R. DeRosa

Hi everyone. My name is Kara DeRosa and I am from Staten Island, NY. Currently, I am in my 5th year as a University of Scranton student in the Occupational Therapy Master's Graduate program. As an undergrad, I was actively involved in the Student Occupational Therapy Association and still currently help out with events as needed. I also participate in intramural sports, as well as various community service events and research groups with OT faculty. I lived on-campus my first 3 years as a student but now live in an off-campus apartment. My younger sister also attends the University of Scranton and is a junior nursing major. Please feel free to comment on my posts with any questions you may have or if you are interested in getting more information about anything! Happy reading :)