Class Trips!

Hi everyone, I hope you are all staying warm!

As part of the Advanced Pediatric course I am taking this semester, we are required to make 3 visits to Jefferson Center, about 5 minutes away from campus. Jefferson Center is a special education school with classes for a wide variety of students, including multi-disabled, elementary autistic, secondary autistic, and life skills.

For our visits, we have been paired with one of our classmates and assigned to a teacher and classroom at the school. Our first visit will just include an observation of the classroom. During this time, we will have a chance to introduce ourselves to the teachers and students and gain a better understanding of the classroom dynamic and environment. I am not sure what to expect but I am really looking forward to this first visit.

For our second visit, we will be planning a classroom activity. This activity will be based off the observations that were made during our first visit, as well as a discussion with the teacher about what she feels is appropriate for the class and the needs of all the students. I am hoping that this will be a fun day for both myself and the students in the class.

During our third and final visit, we will be administering a standardized assessment, most likely to the teacher of the classroom. As an occupational therapist, the use of standardized assessments is essential to promote evidence-based outcomes and demonstrate high-quality, effective services to our clients. Therefore, it is important that we learn how to properly administer these assessments as students in order to ensure we can effectively use them as professionals. This will be a good opportunity for us to practice using a standardized assessment in a real classroom setting.

In addition to our 3 visits to the Jefferson Center, we will also be running a play group at the Trinity Child Care Center. This is an officially designated Prescribed Pediatric Extended Care Center in the Scranton area. The program was designed for children who are medically fragile or technology dependent, and require medical care throughout the day. As a class, we will be running a play group for the children at the day care. I am looking forward to this fun and educational experience.

As you can see, I have plenty of class trips scheduled for the semester. These opportunities offer a way to apply the skills learned in the classroom to a real-life setting, something I think is extremely important and beneficial. Our professors are always searching for ways to incorporate hands-on learning into our program and I feel this has made a huge, positive impact on my overall learning experience. Looking forward to sharing my experiences with you!

Have a good week! 🙂

Ms. Kara R. DeRosa

Hi everyone. My name is Kara DeRosa and I am from Staten Island, NY. Currently, I am in my 5th year as a University of Scranton student in the Occupational Therapy Master's Graduate program. As an undergrad, I was actively involved in the Student Occupational Therapy Association and still currently help out with events as needed. I also participate in intramural sports, as well as various community service events and research groups with OT faculty. I lived on-campus my first 3 years as a student but now live in an off-campus apartment. My younger sister also attends the University of Scranton and is a junior nursing major. Please feel free to comment on my posts with any questions you may have or if you are interested in getting more information about anything! Happy reading :)