Scranton Athletics

This was a crazy weekend for both the men and women’s University of Scranton basketball teams. Both teams played in the Landmark Conference game, and both will be playing in the NCAA Division III playoff tournament starting this week.

The men’s basketball team defeated Catholic University by 11 points this past Saturday to earn their 6th Landmark Conference championship in the past 8 years with Danzig as their coach. The Royals finished their season with a 22-5 record. The team will now make their 26th NCAA tournament appearance in school history. Their first game will be played this Friday at Babson College in Massachusetts against Baruch College.

Although the girls were just one point shy of a Landmark Conference Championship, they will still be playing in the NCAA Division III tournament. The women’s team finished their season with a 24-3 record. Despite their loss Saturday night, the team received a bid to the tournament and will host the first and second round games this Friday and Saturday. The Lady Royals will compete against Eastern Connecticut in the first round game.

Wishing the best of luck to both teams!

On a different note, Thursday will be my first visit to the Jefferson School and I am extremely excited to meet the teachers and students. I am hopeful that I will have a very positive educational experience and am looking forward to sharing my story with you.

Seniors and alumni, don’t forget to register for this years Shamrockin’ Eve to be held on Friday, March 13th. This year the theme is “Shamrockin’ For A Reason.” All money raised will be used to support the University’s Textbook Scholarship Fund, a scholarship set up for incoming freshman in need. Students selected will each receive a $600 voucher to the bookstore to help cover the cost of textbooks. Candidates chosen are incoming freshman that have an outstanding need for aid and are chosen based on financial aid. This year, we are eager to raise enough money to present 7 students with this scholarship. Here is the link to register:

https://www.regonline.com/Register/Checkin.aspx?EventID=1666998

Have a good week everyone & be safe in this snow! 🙂

Ms. Kara R. DeRosa

Hi everyone. My name is Kara DeRosa and I am from Staten Island, NY. Currently, I am in my 5th year as a University of Scranton student in the Occupational Therapy Master's Graduate program. As an undergrad, I was actively involved in the Student Occupational Therapy Association and still currently help out with events as needed. I also participate in intramural sports, as well as various community service events and research groups with OT faculty. I lived on-campus my first 3 years as a student but now live in an off-campus apartment. My younger sister also attends the University of Scranton and is a junior nursing major. Please feel free to comment on my posts with any questions you may have or if you are interested in getting more information about anything! Happy reading :)