School Visit Success!

Welcome back from spring break! I hope everyone enjoyed their week off. Time to get back into school mode!

I mentioned in a previous post that my Pediatrics class was going to be taking a few trips to the Jefferson Learning Center in Dunmore. As of today, we have had two visits that both went very well!

Our first visit to the center we paired up to observe a classroom. My class is a Secondary Life Skills program for kids ages 18-21. The class normally has 6 students but there were only 4 present when I did my observation. We watched the students participate in an activity learning about community signs with flashcards. Although the students needed much prompting and redirecting, they were able to demonstrate some understanding of the meanings of the signs.

My second visit I conducted the School Functional Assessment with the teacher. This is an assessment that measures one student’s performance of functional tasks that support his or her participating in the academic and social aspects of the school program. The assessment is used by therapists to gain a better understanding of a student’s school-related tasks in order to design appropriate intervention activities.

I think that actually having a chance to administer the assessment in a real-life situation is so beneficial. It is one thing to learn about assessments in the classroom but I think it is important to have practice actually administering and scoring assessments to improve skills and gain confidence.

Our next visit to the school, we will be facilitating an activity with the students. We decided to do a spring craft and decorate butterflies to hang around the classroom. I am really looking forward to engaging the students and hope they enjoy participating in the activity completion.

This Saturday is our OT Graduate Spring Fling and I am getting really excited about it. There are over 100 people attending helping to raise money for an amazing cause! I’ll share photos next week 🙂

Have a great week everyone!!

Ms. Kara R. DeRosa

Hi everyone. My name is Kara DeRosa and I am from Staten Island, NY. Currently, I am in my 5th year as a University of Scranton student in the Occupational Therapy Master's Graduate program. As an undergrad, I was actively involved in the Student Occupational Therapy Association and still currently help out with events as needed. I also participate in intramural sports, as well as various community service events and research groups with OT faculty. I lived on-campus my first 3 years as a student but now live in an off-campus apartment. My younger sister also attends the University of Scranton and is a junior nursing major. Please feel free to comment on my posts with any questions you may have or if you are interested in getting more information about anything! Happy reading :)