The Last Hoorah

These past few weeks have absolutely flown by and I am sure my final weeks here are going to go by even faster. It is still unbelievable that in just 3 weeks I will no longer by a University of Scranton student!!!

I just want to share some of the fun and exciting things I have been up to these past few weeks and also some events I am looking forward to.

These past two weeks in my Pediatrics course we had children joing our class so we could  practice our evaluation and observation skills. The first family had 5 children (4 boys and 1 girl) but the youngest was only a few months old so we did not work with other. The other was a family with twin boys. The children all participated in various assessments given by myself and my classmates to practice the  administration and scoring. We also observed the children playing with various toys and crafts.

Both experiences were positive and educational. I can say with certainty that actually administering assessments to a child is very different than just learning about them. Children are all unpredictable and although we would like to hope that all assessments will go as planned, I have learned through experience that this is not the case. The only way to prepare for real-life treatment is to gain as much knowledge as you can through practice and experience. The kids also seemed to very much enjoy getting to spend time with us through play and interaction.

A lot of my big assignments have been officially handed in which is super exciting. As much as I will be sad about leaving Scranton, each completed assignment means I am one step closer to having my master’s degree and working as a licensed occupational therapist (EEK).

Next Friday, the OT graduate students have our Portfolio presentation day. We are asked to invite someone from campus  who has influenced our time at Scranton to come view our portfolios. The portfolio is a compilation of just some of the many things we have accomplished over the past 5 years. The artifacts included reflect the University of Scranton Department of Occupational Therapy goals and values. This is an exciting time to showcase all the hard work we have done during our time here as students.

Our final big event before graduation is Scholarship Day, where we present our Faculty Mentor Research projects that have been completed over the course of our graduate year. Family members are invited to attend this event to get just a glimpse of what we have been working hard on for the past year.

To me, the most exciting part of Scholarship Day is the presentation of the money we raised from our Grad Spring Fling to TJ and the reps from VetDogs. It costs $6,000 to name a puppy and this year we raised almost $8,000 which is absolutely incredible!! At this event, we present our check and have the privilege of naming a VetDog in our honor. I am extremely looking forward to this exciting event!

Have a great week everyone 🙂

Ms. Kara R. DeRosa

Hi everyone. My name is Kara DeRosa and I am from Staten Island, NY. Currently, I am in my 5th year as a University of Scranton student in the Occupational Therapy Master's Graduate program. As an undergrad, I was actively involved in the Student Occupational Therapy Association and still currently help out with events as needed. I also participate in intramural sports, as well as various community service events and research groups with OT faculty. I lived on-campus my first 3 years as a student but now live in an off-campus apartment. My younger sister also attends the University of Scranton and is a junior nursing major. Please feel free to comment on my posts with any questions you may have or if you are interested in getting more information about anything! Happy reading :)