Welcome to my Blog!

Hi all! My name is Sarah Mueller. I am a new blogger this year, so I will first take a minute to introduce myself! A little background info: I am a sophomore Secondary Education and English double-major. I am involved in a lot of cool things on campus, so I will definitely have some great stories to share with you lovely readers as the year goes on!

As a freshman, I dormed in what the UofS calls a “living-learning community.” Essentially, the U offers five of these residential learning programs as additional options to regular freshman dorming. They include: Cura Personalis (which centers on faith, service and justice), Wellness (focusing on finding balance between eight themes: physical, emotional, social, intellectual, spiritual, occupational, environmental and multicultural), FIRE (which challenges residents to develop their leadership potential), Sustain U (which commits itself to ecological justice, sustainable living, and civic responsibility), and lastly, Celebrating the ARTS (which encourages personal artistic expression, ie. film, photography, drama, music, etc.)

That being said, as a freshman, I lived in the Cura Personalis living-learning community. It was such a fantastic experience for everyone involved in our program, that we decided to write a letter to the Office of Residence Life, asking to continue the program into our sophomore year. Res-Life gave us the go-ahead, and after writing out a Cura Personalis sophomore constitution, holding meetings, and doing a lot of planning, we were all set to live together as sophomores!

I moved into my quad in Condron Hall a little over two weeks ago. I absolutely love the sophomore living experience so far, as my dorm room is beautiful, spacious, and very importantly – air-conditioned! My entire Cura Personalis family lives on our floor in Condron Hall with me, and already the program is flourishing more than ever. We recently elected co-leaders for each pillar of Cura Personalis (faith, service, and justice,) as well as for the Mentor-Mentee program that we run in partnership with the freshman Cura Personalis community. I was chosen to be one of three co-leaders for the Mentor-Mentee program, and I am so incredibly excited! Last Thursday, we held a “Mentor-Mentee Mingle,” so that the freshmen and sophomore Cura Personalis residents could meet one another and pair up as mentors and mentees. The mingle was a great way to welcome the freshmen to Cura Personalis, and kick-start this awesome program!

Another way we welcomed the freshmen was through Fall Move-In. The majority of sophomore Cura Personalis signed up for to volunteer for the event. On freshmen move-in day, myself, sophomore Cura Personalis, and the hundreds of other UofS volunteers basically bombarded the freshmen’s cars, moving all of their suitcases, boxes, refrigerators – you name it – into their dorms! Being a Jesuit school, I think that the freshmen move-in process really exemplifies Ignation values, in being “men and women for others,” as doing this was a nice way to make the freshmen’s transition into college much easier and less stressful!

All in all, it has definitely been a wonderful start to the school year! I hope you all enjoyed my first blog post!

Until next week!

Sarah :D

Sarah E. Mueller

Hello! My name is Sarah Mueller. I double major in Secondary Education and English at the University of Scranton. I a member of the Class of 2016. I am involved in the Cura Personalis living learning community, creating and participating in faith, service, and justice related events. Additionally, I write and edit for The Aquinas Student Newspaper and work as a Co-Director for Royal Ambassadors (our Admissions tour guide program). I am an active member of Kappa Delta Pi, the international honors society in Education, as well as Sigma Tau Delta, the international honors society in English. Currently, I am studying abroad in Cape Town, South Africa. (And I'm loving every second of it!)