Divinely Designed – The Impact of a Retreat at the UofS

Hi everyone!

I hope you had a nice weekend! I certainly did! This past weekend, I led Divinely Designed – a women’s retreat run by the University of Scranton’s Campus Ministries program. Honestly, leading this retreat was the best experience I’ve ever had.

Nine other girls, myself, and Amy (our Campus Minister) had been planning this retreat since the beginning of last fall semester. When I was asked to be on team for the retreat, after attending Divinely Designed as a candidate last February, I had no idea what to expect. I was filled with a range of emotions: nervousness, excitement, uncertainty. But I knew that being part of the team was an experience I could not pass up.

To plan for the retreat, starting at the beginning of this past fall semester, we met once a week for two-three hours. Each meeting revolved around a different retreat topic pertaining to women such as voice, body-image, relationships, etc. The team would discuss our own experiences with these topics at every meeting.

At the end of last semester, five of the ten team members were asked to write a talk pertaining to one of the various topics we discussed at the meetings. I was asked to write a talk, and again, I was filled with nervousness, excitement, uncertainty, and quite honestly – more nervousness. My talk was on a super personal topic, and I was scared to confront it and speak about it out loud in front of the entire retreat. But my team was so incredibly supportive, and after thinking about it, I agreed to write the talk.

So after months and months of planning, the retreat finally arrived! About 40 candidates arrived at Chapman Lake at 4:30PM last Friday, ready to kick-start the weekend. And it was amazing. The entire weekend was amazing. So many people opened up and shared their stories, and by the end of the weekend we all felt so connected to each other. After I gave my talk, everyone rushed to hug me. Never have I ever felt so much love, support and acceptance in my entire life. Seeing so many Scranton students come together on this retreat was absolutely beautiful, and I feel so incredibly fortunate to have led and been part of the experience.

I think something that really exemplifies how much the retreat impacted our Scranton community were the affirmation letters we all wrote each other on the retreat. At the beginning of the retreat, we all made affirmation mail boxes, where anyone on the retreat could write you a little love note, affirming you as a woman. Reading all of my affirmations after the retreat was such a humbling yet empowering experience. So many people shared that they had been through similar things as me, and reading their stories made me feel so much more connected to them. Now, seeing the girls from the retreat on campus, we greet each other with lots of hugs and love. Where I once regarded these girls as strangers, I now feel so close to them emotionally, and I feel so lucky to have expanded my Scranton family.

Retreats are honestly my favorite way to meet other Scranton students. Scranton students are so inspirational. It is really such a beautiful thing to get to know people so deeply and intentionally on retreats. I love that at the University of Scranton, when we return from the retreats, we still make the effort to keep close to those we went on the retreat with. There are no “Breakfast Club” worries – I am never left asking “Will we still be friends after this weekend?” No. The Scranton community takes care of each other, and I truly love and admire that about our campus. It is so comforting.

Here are some pictures from this amazing weekend:

1508994_10203423825983167_1944095194_n

The retreat team

1904022_10203270897597091_941186661_n

Everyone who attended the retreat

Have a lovely week!

Sarah :)

Sarah E. Mueller

Hello! My name is Sarah Mueller. I double major in Secondary Education and English at the University of Scranton, and am member of the Class of 2016. Currently, as a second-semester senior, I am student teaching at Scranton High School, and I am loving every second of it! Because I am a second-semester senior (and am totally feeling the nostalgia set in), here are a few of my college highlights:

1. Last fall, I studied abroad in Cape Town, South Africa (and I loved every second of it!). There, I got to teach sixth grade English as a Second Language in the townships. This was by far the most rewarding and eye-opening experience of my life.
2. I work as a Co-Director for Royal Ambassadors (our Admissions tour guide program). I hire and train tour guides, help run Open House and Commencement events, and even get to give a few tours, myself!
3. I was the Head Leader for Divinely Designed, The Women's Retreat, this spring. I was also on team to lead the retreat my sophomore year.
4. I am an active member of Kappa Delta Pi, the international honors society in Education, as well as Sigma Tau Delta, the international honors society in English.
5. I lived in the Cura Personalis living learning community my freshman and sophomore years, creating and participating in faith, service, and justice related events.
6. Up until this semester, I was a staff writer and a section editor for The Aquinas Student Newspaper. Last spring, I even tried my hand at being the Managing Editor!

Although I definitely do not want my college experience to be over, I am excited to get out into the real world and apply all of the incredible lessons The UofS has taught me about being a teacher, but more importantly, about being a person.