Accepted Students Reception!

Hi all!

There is a lot of excitement on campus this week as students gear up for midterms and look forward to next week’s Spring Break! In the midst of all of the craziness between studying for three midterms, writing a 10-page paper (yikes!) and fulfilling all of my obligations to clubs, teacher candidacy, education observations, etc., I miraculously found time to participate in an amazing Admissions event for accepted students.

On Monday night, I was given the exciting opportunity to head over to my home-state to serve on the panel for the Northern New Jersey Yield Reception! At the panel, accepted students from Northern New Jersey could come get a taste of what Scranton is really like. Essentially, we brought Scranton to New Jersey!

At 3PM on Monday afternoon, I went on a road trip with two other current students and Kelly Connor (who actually is the Admissions Counselor that runs this awesome blog!!) Driving to and from New Jersey with them was a ton of fun! (We blasted 80’s music the whole way home and I was jamming out!)

As families came into the reception, we greeted and mingled with them, answering any questions and talking up Scranton to the max! Before the reception began, we played a slide-show which showed off just how beautiful our campus is! (I swear, I could look at pictures of Scranton’s gorgeous campus all day!)

The night began with an awesome presentation given by Joe Roback, the Associate Vice President for Admissions and Enrollment. He definitely got the crowd excited as he spoke all about Scranton’s Freshman Move-In Day, Freshman Orientation, and a ton of other great programs that the UofS puts on.

After the presentation, Joe provided the audience with the opportunity to ask any questions they might have about the UofS to the panel. The panel consisted of myself and two other current UofS students, two alumni and two parents of current students.

It was so much fun to answer questions and share with the accepted students and their families why I love the University of Scranton so darn much! I honestly could talk about the U for hours on end without getting sick of it. I truly have so much love for the University of Scranton, and I feel so incredibly blessed that I was able to share my experiences with so many perspective students!!

I am constantly inspired by how enthusiastic perspective students are about attending the University of Scranton. Their passion for the U helps fuel mine, as they constantly remind me of all the reasons I love this amazing school. Participating in events like the Northern New Jersey Yield Reception panel continue to solidify that Scranton is the best school ever! (maybe I’m a little biased…but really, what’s not to love?! :) )

Well, that’s all for this week! I hope everyone has a lovely Spring Break! Good luck to all of the accepted students I met on Monday night, and to everyone else who was accepted to the University of Scranton! Choosing a college is scary and difficult…the best thing you can do is follow your heart – And I can honestly say that my heart belongs to the University of Scranton.

Have a lovely week!

Sarah :)

Sarah E. Mueller

Hello! My name is Sarah Mueller. I double major in Secondary Education and English at the University of Scranton, and am member of the Class of 2016. Currently, as a second-semester senior, I am student teaching at Scranton High School, and I am loving every second of it! Because I am a second-semester senior (and am totally feeling the nostalgia set in), here are a few of my college highlights:

1. Last fall, I studied abroad in Cape Town, South Africa (and I loved every second of it!). There, I got to teach sixth grade English as a Second Language in the townships. This was by far the most rewarding and eye-opening experience of my life.
2. I work as a Co-Director for Royal Ambassadors (our Admissions tour guide program). I hire and train tour guides, help run Open House and Commencement events, and even get to give a few tours, myself!
3. I was the Head Leader for Divinely Designed, The Women's Retreat, this spring. I was also on team to lead the retreat my sophomore year.
4. I am an active member of Kappa Delta Pi, the international honors society in Education, as well as Sigma Tau Delta, the international honors society in English.
5. I lived in the Cura Personalis living learning community my freshman and sophomore years, creating and participating in faith, service, and justice related events.
6. Up until this semester, I was a staff writer and a section editor for The Aquinas Student Newspaper. Last spring, I even tried my hand at being the Managing Editor!

Although I definitely do not want my college experience to be over, I am excited to get out into the real world and apply all of the incredible lessons The UofS has taught me about being a teacher, but more importantly, about being a person.