Born To Be Wild!

Hi everyone!

This past Saturday, I went on an AWESOME retreat through the University of Scranton Campus Ministries called Born To Be Wild! For the entire day on Saturday, we went hiking through PA’s Grand Canyon!

The retreat focused on the four elements: Water, wind, fire and earth. As we hiked to the top of the mountain and back down, we stopped along the way to listen to different talks concerning one of the four elements, and how those elements relate to faith, life and college. The talks really hit home with me, and opened my eyes to nature in new ways. It helped me view nature as a constant part of life – as something which affects us daily. I have never through about nature as something that was a part of who I am, but this retreat made showed me that it is. The entire experience was extremely reflective and inspiring.

I love that the University of Scranton holds such cool retreats! Not only was Born To Be Wild so much fun (I mean, who doesn’t love hiking, right?!), but it was also so faith-based and inspirational. Before attending the retreat, I was not expecting to be so impacted by a simple hike. But that’s Scranton for you. As a student at the University of Scranton, you do not realize how inspirational opportunities are here until you jump right into them. I feel so fortunate to be given so many opportunities to step outside my comfort zone and jump into exciting and inspiring adventures at the University of Scranton.

Here are some pictures from the retreat!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZHIKE

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzHIKE

Even though it started raining towards the end of the hike, we still had a blast! (And hey, at least the rain went along with the retreat’s “water” theme!)

For all future and current students, I definitely recommend attending retreats through Campus Ministries! They truly are life-changing, and I feel so fortunate to have so many opportunities to go on them.

Have a lovely week!

Sarah :)

Sarah E. Mueller

Hello! My name is Sarah Mueller. I double major in Secondary Education and English at the University of Scranton, and am member of the Class of 2016. Currently, as a second-semester senior, I am student teaching at Scranton High School, and I am loving every second of it! Because I am a second-semester senior (and am totally feeling the nostalgia set in), here are a few of my college highlights:

1. Last fall, I studied abroad in Cape Town, South Africa (and I loved every second of it!). There, I got to teach sixth grade English as a Second Language in the townships. This was by far the most rewarding and eye-opening experience of my life.
2. I work as a Co-Director for Royal Ambassadors (our Admissions tour guide program). I hire and train tour guides, help run Open House and Commencement events, and even get to give a few tours, myself!
3. I was the Head Leader for Divinely Designed, The Women's Retreat, this spring. I was also on team to lead the retreat my sophomore year.
4. I am an active member of Kappa Delta Pi, the international honors society in Education, as well as Sigma Tau Delta, the international honors society in English.
5. I lived in the Cura Personalis living learning community my freshman and sophomore years, creating and participating in faith, service, and justice related events.
6. Up until this semester, I was a staff writer and a section editor for The Aquinas Student Newspaper. Last spring, I even tried my hand at being the Managing Editor!

Although I definitely do not want my college experience to be over, I am excited to get out into the real world and apply all of the incredible lessons The UofS has taught me about being a teacher, but more importantly, about being a person.