Spring Fest!/Last Post of the Semester!

Hi all!

As the year comes to an end, the University of Scranton always goes out with a bang! On Saturday, USPB (The University of Scranton Programming Board) put on its annual Spring Fest!

Spring Fest is a huge festival held on campus every year right before Dead Week (AKA, the week before finals). It features live music, battle of the bands, games, food and fundraisers! All of campus flocked to the Byron Center to celebrate spring and have fun during our last weekend before finals.

One of my favorite parts of Spring Fest was the DJ who came at night. There was a huge dance party in the Byron Center. Everyone had glow sticks and glow-in-the-dark sunglasses, and we all sang and danced our way into spring!

Here is a picture from the dance party!

So now that we have celebrated spring, it’s time to buckle down and study for finals so that we can jump into summer!

Personally, I find that finals seem less intimidating if you plan ahead. Start prepping early; organize your notes; meet with a study group. Give yourself time to collect your study materials for each class, and map out a schedule to ensure that you devote time to each final. Coffee comes in handy too…good thing we have a Starbucks on campus!

Above all else, though, give yourself time to have fun with your friends. Sure, your GPA is important, but  looking back on your college experience, your memories will be with your friends, not the nights you spend studying in the library. So budget your time. Balance studying with having fun. You might not see some of your friends all summer. For me, I will not see the majority of my friends for five months, as I am leaving to study abroad in Cape Town, South Africa for the fall semester. So, have fun. “Live in the sunshine; swim the sea; drink the wild air,” as Ralph Waldo Emerson puts it. Let go of your anxiety, your stress and your self-doubt. Your grades will be just fine. :)

Well, that’s all for this semester! The next time you guys hear from me, I’ll be in Cape Town…craziness!! Until next year!

Sarah :)

Sarah E. Mueller

Hello! My name is Sarah Mueller. I double major in Secondary Education and English at the University of Scranton, and am member of the Class of 2016. Currently, as a second-semester senior, I am student teaching at Scranton High School, and I am loving every second of it! Because I am a second-semester senior (and am totally feeling the nostalgia set in), here are a few of my college highlights:

1. Last fall, I studied abroad in Cape Town, South Africa (and I loved every second of it!). There, I got to teach sixth grade English as a Second Language in the townships. This was by far the most rewarding and eye-opening experience of my life.
2. I work as a Co-Director for Royal Ambassadors (our Admissions tour guide program). I hire and train tour guides, help run Open House and Commencement events, and even get to give a few tours, myself!
3. I was the Head Leader for Divinely Designed, The Women's Retreat, this spring. I was also on team to lead the retreat my sophomore year.
4. I am an active member of Kappa Delta Pi, the international honors society in Education, as well as Sigma Tau Delta, the international honors society in English.
5. I lived in the Cura Personalis living learning community my freshman and sophomore years, creating and participating in faith, service, and justice related events.
6. Up until this semester, I was a staff writer and a section editor for The Aquinas Student Newspaper. Last spring, I even tried my hand at being the Managing Editor!

Although I definitely do not want my college experience to be over, I am excited to get out into the real world and apply all of the incredible lessons The UofS has taught me about being a teacher, but more importantly, about being a person.