Study Abroad Reunion

This weekend, I had the extraordinary opportunity to fly out to Chicago to see all of my housemates from when I studied abroad in Cape Town, South Africa last semester.

The South Africa Study Abroad program pulled from all 28 Jesuit universities across the United States. That said, my housemates were from Santa Clara and Loyola Marymount in California, Marquette in Wisconsin, Xavier in Ohio, St. Joes in Philly, and Loyola Chicago! Having some of my closest friends spread out across the entire country is rough, but getting to travel to meet up with them is so much fun!!

For my housemates and I, Cape Town was characterized by our spontaneity. So when we all decided at the last minute to drop everything and fly out to Chicago for the weekend, we solidified that spontaneity, as well as our love for each other.

All day on Friday, waves of friends filed in from across the U.S. – two of my housemates who originally couldn’t come ended up surprising us all and showing up! In total, 15 out of my 20 housemates made the trek to Chicago.  Crazy!

We explored the city, ate some delicious food, and bonded with each other, picking up right where we left off five months ago in Cape Town. It honestly felt like we never left each other – the mark of life-long friends.

I am so grateful that The University of Scranton gave me the incredible opportunity to study abroad. Honestly, it was some of the best five months of my life. I made incredible friends with whom I performed service work, took classes, explored the city, went on spontaneous adventures, and had the time of our lives. I definitely recommend that every UofS student takes full advantage of our incredible study abroad program here. It completely changed my life.

12345

Sarah E. Mueller

Hello! My name is Sarah Mueller. I double major in Secondary Education and English at the University of Scranton, and am member of the Class of 2016. Currently, as a second-semester senior, I am student teaching at Scranton High School, and I am loving every second of it! Because I am a second-semester senior (and am totally feeling the nostalgia set in), here are a few of my college highlights:

1. Last fall, I studied abroad in Cape Town, South Africa (and I loved every second of it!). There, I got to teach sixth grade English as a Second Language in the townships. This was by far the most rewarding and eye-opening experience of my life.
2. I work as a Co-Director for Royal Ambassadors (our Admissions tour guide program). I hire and train tour guides, help run Open House and Commencement events, and even get to give a few tours, myself!
3. I was the Head Leader for Divinely Designed, The Women's Retreat, this spring. I was also on team to lead the retreat my sophomore year.
4. I am an active member of Kappa Delta Pi, the international honors society in Education, as well as Sigma Tau Delta, the international honors society in English.
5. I lived in the Cura Personalis living learning community my freshman and sophomore years, creating and participating in faith, service, and justice related events.
6. Up until this semester, I was a staff writer and a section editor for The Aquinas Student Newspaper. Last spring, I even tried my hand at being the Managing Editor!

Although I definitely do not want my college experience to be over, I am excited to get out into the real world and apply all of the incredible lessons The UofS has taught me about being a teacher, but more importantly, about being a person.