Open House

I can’t believe it’s November already! With only five¬†weeks left in the fall semester, I have begun to approach some of my first “lasts” of my college experience.

One of those “lasts” was Open House. I have been working for Admissions since freshman year. My job as a Co-Director for Royal Ambassadors and a tour guide has been a defining part of my college experience. Part of my job in Admissions involves helping to manage and direct the tours during Open House. From leading the tours freshman year to managing the tour route sophomore, junior, and now senior year, Open House has always been one one of my favorite events to work on campus.¬†This past Sunday was my last Open House.

My job in Admissions has given me a guaranteed hour-and-a-half slot, twice a week, to talk up The University of Scranton. I always joke that I get paid to do what I do all the time anyway – telling anyone who will listen why I love this university. After giving tours and working events like Open House, I feel elated. Truly, interacting with prospective students makes my day. Deciding to go to The University of Scranton was one of the best decisions I have ever made, and encouraging prospective students to make that same decision if one of my favorite ways to give back to the place that has shaped not only my college experience but the person who I have become.

Below is a picture of myself and the other Co-Directors, prepping for my last Open House:

open house

And here’s a picture of myself and two of my closest friends who worked as Podium Speakers in the Library with me for our last Open House:

open house 2

Sarah E. Mueller

Hello! My name is Sarah Mueller. I double major in Secondary Education and English at the University of Scranton, and am member of the Class of 2016. Currently, as a second-semester senior, I am student teaching at Scranton High School, and I am loving every second of it! Because I am a second-semester senior (and am totally feeling the nostalgia set in), here are a few of my college highlights:

1. Last fall, I studied abroad in Cape Town, South Africa (and I loved every second of it!). There, I got to teach sixth grade English as a Second Language in the townships. This was by far the most rewarding and eye-opening experience of my life.
2. I work as a Co-Director for Royal Ambassadors (our Admissions tour guide program). I hire and train tour guides, help run Open House and Commencement events, and even get to give a few tours, myself!
3. I was the Head Leader for Divinely Designed, The Women's Retreat, this spring. I was also on team to lead the retreat my sophomore year.
4. I am an active member of Kappa Delta Pi, the international honors society in Education, as well as Sigma Tau Delta, the international honors society in English.
5. I lived in the Cura Personalis living learning community my freshman and sophomore years, creating and participating in faith, service, and justice related events.
6. Up until this semester, I was a staff writer and a section editor for The Aquinas Student Newspaper. Last spring, I even tried my hand at being the Managing Editor!

Although I definitely do not want my college experience to be over, I am excited to get out into the real world and apply all of the incredible lessons The UofS has taught me about being a teacher, but more importantly, about being a person.