Gearing up for student teaching!

It’s finally here: the second semester of my senior year. (*Gasp!*) It’s the semester full of laughs and lasts, all while slowly allowing yourself come to terms with the fact that you will soon have to be a “real person” and leave the beautiful bubble we call The University of Scranton.

I am so fortunate to get a taste of what it’s like to be a “real person” during my student teaching this semester. After three and a half years of learning strategies, methods, and essentially every literary movement ever, I can finally apply all that I have been taught, making the exciting transition from student to teacher.

In just two weeks, I will be teaching Junior American Literature and Senior British Literature at Scranton High School (and I’ll be singing “We’re All in this Together” with my second-semester senior students as we all get through our final semesters of school!) While I definitely bought way too many clothes over winter break in the name of student teaching, and definitely didn’t get enough sleep over break to make up for the serious lack of sleep to come with student teaching, I am beyond excited to get started!!!

Tomorrow, I will meet with my cooperating teacher to get the books, plays, and poetry I will be teaching! I can’t wait to start preparing lesson plans, forming assessments, and getting to know my students. I have a lot of work ahead of me, but I know it will be an amazing experience!!!!!

Miss Mueller

Sarah E. Mueller

Hello! My name is Sarah Mueller. I double major in Secondary Education and English at the University of Scranton, and am member of the Class of 2016. Currently, as a second-semester senior, I am student teaching at Scranton High School, and I am loving every second of it! Because I am a second-semester senior (and am totally feeling the nostalgia set in), here are a few of my college highlights:

1. Last fall, I studied abroad in Cape Town, South Africa (and I loved every second of it!). There, I got to teach sixth grade English as a Second Language in the townships. This was by far the most rewarding and eye-opening experience of my life.
2. I work as a Co-Director for Royal Ambassadors (our Admissions tour guide program). I hire and train tour guides, help run Open House and Commencement events, and even get to give a few tours, myself!
3. I was the Head Leader for Divinely Designed, The Women's Retreat, this spring. I was also on team to lead the retreat my sophomore year.
4. I am an active member of Kappa Delta Pi, the international honors society in Education, as well as Sigma Tau Delta, the international honors society in English.
5. I lived in the Cura Personalis living learning community my freshman and sophomore years, creating and participating in faith, service, and justice related events.
6. Up until this semester, I was a staff writer and a section editor for The Aquinas Student Newspaper. Last spring, I even tried my hand at being the Managing Editor!

Although I definitely do not want my college experience to be over, I am excited to get out into the real world and apply all of the incredible lessons The UofS has taught me about being a teacher, but more importantly, about being a person.

One thought on “Gearing up for student teaching!

1. Wow Ms Mueller,you are such an inspiration,an individual who has determination and perseverance.The way you describe our personality as pupils of Hlengisa,it makes me think about the hardwork of teachers who are diligent,who are trying their best to create a good image of Hlengisa,who you feel free and gain confidence when you are around them.I will never forget the way they changed our lives…Hlengisa is the place to be!!!