I <3 student teaching

Hi all!

As my time at The University of Scranton winds down, so does my time student teaching at Scranton High School. Truly, I could not have been more blessed to have been placed with such an incredibly cooperating teacher, with such an incredible group of junior and senior students. I have learned so much about teaching, and about myself, as I grow daily toward being the type of teacher and person who I want to be.

Today, a student in one of my senior classes asked me when my last day was, and I told them May 13. A few students jumped in, saying they would miss me. I promised them that I would come back for their graduation, which they became very excited about. At the end of class, one of my students came up to me, and gave me the most beautiful plaque, engraved with Scranton High School’s emblem, as well as my last day of student teaching. He told me that he had been working on this for weeks, and wanted me to have it to hang up in my own classroom one day. This kind gesture warmed my heart, and let me know that I was both valued as a teacher, and as a member of the Scranton community.

Anibal's plaqueHere’s the plaque my student made for me! I’m having all of my students sign it tomorrow 🙂

On Friday night, I attended Relay for Life on The Univsity of Scranton campus. There, I got to talking to one of my English professors, and told him I had employed one of his teaching strategies in my classroom. On Sunday morning, I attended the Sigma Tau Delta International English Honors Society induction, where I spoke to two of my former professors, and them I had also employed methods and content from their classes into my lessons at Scranton High School. All three of the professors separately told me that the fact that I had borrowed their methods and strategies, and had applied their content to my own lessons was the best compliment a teacher could receive. As I see my own students engage in my lessons, and as I see other teachers ask to use cool lessons and materials I made in their own classes, I totally comprehend the enormity of that compliment. Teaching is all about giving – giving to your students, giving to other teachers, and giving to the community. Student teaching at Scranton High School has been one of the most rewarding aspects of my college experience. I am so grateful to The University of Scranton for giving me the opportunity to teach there, to give back to the Scranton community, and for preparing me to do so.

Sarah E. Mueller

Hello! My name is Sarah Mueller. I double major in Secondary Education and English at the University of Scranton, and am member of the Class of 2016. Currently, as a second-semester senior, I am student teaching at Scranton High School, and I am loving every second of it! Because I am a second-semester senior (and am totally feeling the nostalgia set in), here are a few of my college highlights:

1. Last fall, I studied abroad in Cape Town, South Africa (and I loved every second of it!). There, I got to teach sixth grade English as a Second Language in the townships. This was by far the most rewarding and eye-opening experience of my life.
2. I work as a Co-Director for Royal Ambassadors (our Admissions tour guide program). I hire and train tour guides, help run Open House and Commencement events, and even get to give a few tours, myself!
3. I was the Head Leader for Divinely Designed, The Women's Retreat, this spring. I was also on team to lead the retreat my sophomore year.
4. I am an active member of Kappa Delta Pi, the international honors society in Education, as well as Sigma Tau Delta, the international honors society in English.
5. I lived in the Cura Personalis living learning community my freshman and sophomore years, creating and participating in faith, service, and justice related events.
6. Up until this semester, I was a staff writer and a section editor for The Aquinas Student Newspaper. Last spring, I even tried my hand at being the Managing Editor!

Although I definitely do not want my college experience to be over, I am excited to get out into the real world and apply all of the incredible lessons The UofS has taught me about being a teacher, but more importantly, about being a person.