Senior Spotlight: Annie McSherry

With commencement approaching, the reality is beginning to set in for some seniors. Their time as undergraduate students is coming to an end.

Annie McSherry is a nursing major gearing up for the professional sector post-graduation. She said she hopes to return to her home state of New York.

Camel, New York native Annie McSherry.

“After graduation, I would love to work in New York as a nurse in the neonatal intensive care unit,” McSherry said.

Though eager to start her nursing career, McSherry said she is going to miss Scranton.

“I’m really going to miss living with my best friends,” McSherry said. “I can’t imagine what I would have done without them the past four years, and it’s so sad to think about us all living in different states in a few months.”

Outside of the close-ties McSherry shares with her housemates, she is also a member of the cheerleading team and the Student Nursing Association. She said her favorite Scranton memory came from the cheer team’s finals appearance in the 2020 United Cheerleading Association’s College Nationals in Disney World.

“The theme song from ‘The Office’ was a part of our routine, and the crowd went wild when they heard it,” McSherry said. “That is a feeling that I will never forget.”

The 2020 University of Scranton Cheerleading Team at UCA College Nationals in Disney World. From top left: Mya Pennisi, Alexa Cassese, Alyssa Olcott, Lauren Staub, Arianna Clausen, C.C. Farnsworth, Kaitlyn Bentley. Second row from left: Jess Cronin, Anastasia Stadnik, Allysa Belches, Ashley LoFasa, Deanna Anzalone, Annie McSherry, Nicole Swoboda, Rachael Lehr, Casey Welby. Third row from left: Victoria Unangst, Bria DeBernardi, Lauren Buscarino, Rebeca Chieffallo, Emily Garcia, Kathryn Frontauria, Adrianna Duranti. Bottom from left: Giana Tramantana, Heather Sanwald, Ashley Cook, Taylor Leckemby, Jeanmarie Villata and Anna Bailey.

McSherry was not only positively impacted by the relationships she formed as a Royal, but she also said that the Jesuit institution has greatly helped shaped her into who she is today.

“The education [students] receive is so well-rounded and has taught me more than I could have ever imagined,” she said. “Every course I took will make me a better nurse whether it was science-based or not.”

In addition to all that she learned through coursework, she said she learned many life lessons at Scranton.

“I’ve learned how everything truly does work out in the end, how valuable friendships are and how to give myself a break when it’s needed,” McSherry said. “I learned to not sweat the small stuff and only focus on what’s important.”

Looking back, she wishes she knew as a first-year student what she knows now.

“I often second guessed my intelligence, appearance, athletic ability and personality,” McSherry said. “As a senior, I’m realizing how much time I wasted worrying about those things instead of just being more confident.”