Senior Spotlight: Keny Melgar

For a quarter of the students at Scranton, the next few weeks will be their last as undergraduates.

As their time at Scranton slowly comes to an end, many of these students have begun to look back over their years and forward to what the next several weeks will hold.

Keny Melgar is a computer science major with a concentration in data science.

After graduation, Melgar hopes to further his career with his current internship at Production Systems Automation Inc. and said he wants to further his education as well.

Simpson, Pa. native Keny Melgar.

“I plan on getting my master’s degree in software engineering here at Scranton,” Melgar said.

He looks forward to graduate school but said he is going to miss those who won’t be here in the fall.

“Everyone that I have met here on campus has impacted me in some way, and I will miss those who are leaving,” Melgar said.

He said he also developed great relationships with his professors that allowed him to learn and grow these past four years.

“Everyone wants the best for you and sometimes that means pushing you to be better, [which] can be hard to accept sometimes,” Melgar said. “Reflecting on those moments really opens my eyes to how much I’ve grown.”

Before COVID-19, Melgar spent his free time with Campus Ministries, CSA and pick-up soccer. He said he stayed involved on campus after the pandemic as well.

“Since [COVID], I have been a part of the Orientation Team,” he said.

In addition, he took part in a service trip with Scranton.

“My favorite memory that I have has to be my trip to Death Valley,” Melgar said. “Not only was it an absolutely spectacular adventure [but] it was also one that was spontaneous.”

He said he has an improved outlook on life since starting at Scranton.

“Scranton taught me to not take life too seriously,” Melgar said. “I began to take each day as if it was my last, which has made my outlook on life more positive and exciting.”

Melgar said he will rely on that positive outlook as he approaches the final weeks of his senior year.

“During my senior year, I hope to laugh and share many more moments with friends,” Melgar said. “I [also] hope to finish a few research projects that I recently started.”