Walking the Royal Mile

As the rain dried up and the weather began to warm in Scranton, I decided it was time to get outside and spend some time on campus.

As a second semester set to graduate in just under one short week, I decided that the best way to spend that time was by wandering around campus.

What better way to get all the views that Scranton has to offer while getting some active time in than walking the Royal Mile?

CHEW created the Royal Mile as a part of their Happy Trail series.

The Royal Mile is a one-mile loop stretching from North Webster Ave. down to Jefferson Ave. The loop encompasses campus and includes milestones like Leahy Hall, the Class of 2020 Gateway and the DeNaples Center in one short trip.

My walk started outside of my dorm in Romero D, and the first thing that met my eyes was Granteed’s Pizzeria. This restaurant has been a staple among my friend group over the past few years, and it was great to see so many people passing in and out of the glass doors.

Granteed’s is located on the corner of Monroe and Mulberry.

Next, I headed down Mulberry St. and across Jefferson Ave. where I passed Hyland and Leahy Hall, a walk that I used to dread but now miss in the times of online school.

I also had feelings of nostalgia when walking past St. Thomas and the Loyal Science Center, both of which held many of my general studies classes and major classes in the Communications Wing.

Walking around the back of the Loyola Science Center gave me some views that most students don’t typically have on campus.

University of Scranton’s Loyola Science Center

As the road is not often traveled by foot, I was able to admire the hills that stretch past Scranton’s off-campus housing and really take in the beauty of the area in which our campus resides.

The back of the Long Center had me missing the excitement of basketball games and cheerleading with some of my closest friends.

The Long Center on campus is home to many sports practices, games and events.

North Webster Ave. brought me more great pizza memories as the peak of CK’s Pizza slowly came into view through the potholes and construction.

Finally, my trip down Mulberry Street felt like a final walk across my most travelled path on campus. Whether it be heading to class, going to visit friends or even making a trip to the gym, the crosswalks and busyness of Mulberry St. always meant one thing to me: I was in my favorite place with some of the best people I’ve ever gotten to meet.

The end of the Royal Mile left me feeling not only breathy but also a little heavy-hearted.

Enjoy the beauty campus offers as often and as many ways as you can. The years go by fast, but the memories come rushing back in an instant when doing a walk as encompassing as the Royal Mile.