Analysis of Marcel Camus’ Orfeu Negro

Marcel Camus’ Orfeu Negro is a French film based on the Brazilian play Orfeu da Conceição. The film’s and play’s plot is inspired by the Greek myth Orpheus and Eurydice taking place in Rio de Janerio, Brazil, during the Brazilian festival Carnival. The story begins with Eurydice fleeing to Rio in search of her cousin, Serafina. Like the myth entails, Eurydice flees to escape Death and believes by running away to Rio she is safe. While looking for Serafina, Eurydice bumps into Orfeu, the film’s protagonist, while riding a trolley. Getting off the trolley Eurydice is given directions to her cousin’s house where Orfeu is a neighbor; How Ironic? As the plot develops Orfeu and Eurydice fall in love similar to the Greek myth. Later on during festival activities, Eurydice is chased by Death who unfortunately finds her among the crowd. Finally, and as a tragic typically ends, Eurydice is killed by Orfeu while trying to rescue her.

Positively critiquing the film I would argue that the choreography and music was spot on, adding a sense of genuine Brazilian culture. I really liked how the same song carried throughout the entire length of the film, which I later learned is a tradition. Songs are sung with accompanying music from floats driving down the streets precedingCarnival and locals follow the music and sing along. Another strength of the film was the use of red lighting during the last scene with Eurydice adding to the drama of death as well as the “red” aspect of the underworld where Eurydice goes.

What I did not like about the film, however, was the way the Afro-Brazilians were portrayed in the film. These prejudices of how Afro-Brazilians are viewed actually relates to our current Unit “Blackness in Brazil”. One of our readings was a chapter of Gilberto Freyre’s The Masters and the Slaves which describes Afro-Brazilians as being obsessed with sexual desire as a side-effect of the institution of slavery and their African origin. This eroticism was heavily depicted throughout the film especially in times of high festivities. Specifically depicted in which the song and dance of the Afro-Brazilians began to sound animalistic. The Afro-Brazilians are also portrayed as impoverished but in an extremely careless manner. For example, Serafina buys a dress over food despite the fact that she’s struggling with money. Surprisingly the entire Rio de Janerio population is singing and dancing without a care in the world not to mention the shanty towns the Afro-Brazilians live in.

I found this film overall confusing, not on the fault of the film necessarily but on my fault for being ignorant about the Brazilian Carnival and its cultural value along with the original Greek myth in which the film/play is inspired from. Seeing this film with this knowledge would have clarified some points at the beginning of the film.  I also found the intent of the film confusing. It’s unclear the director’s intent of the stereotyping such as whether he unknowingly stereotypes the Afro-Brazilians, or is trying to expose the stereotypes by exaggerating them.