Swinging for the Fences

The two things I want most in life are simple: to be successful and to be happy. By pursuing a career in the baseball industry, I feel that I can accomplish both of these things. When I applied for this internship position with the Sussex County Miners, I did not have a clear vision of exactly what I hoped to learn from it, but as time went on, my vision became much clearer. Throughout the course of this internship I hope to continue to learn the essentials to becoming a successful worker in the baseball world—no matter what the position. As an intern for the Miners, I am exposed to a number of different aspects of the job, whether it be contacting vendors to come advertise at games, contacting companies to make large group sales, working the box office, creating social media content, or working as a member of the promotions team. These various positions are helping me learn what qualities I must possess in order to be able to keep up in the industry.

Because I don’t have one set idea on exactly what I want to do post-graduation, the knowledge I am gaining from this internship is opening my eyes toward the various positions that exist in the baseball industry, and is allowing me to get experience working each of them, which will undoubtedly influence the specific career path I choose to pursue in just less than a year.

Jillian Wall
Strategic Communication

2 Replies to “Swinging for the Fences”

1. Jill –

I hope your internship is going well. I’m glad that your role allows you to get exposure to different departments at the Miners. It sounds like it’s the perfect fit to help you decide which area you like best! From my experiences in sports, I’ve learned that work ethic and relationships are key. I recommend spending time (lunch, coffee, meeting) with as many people as possible in the front office to build these relationships that could be mutually beneficial in the future.

2. Jill,

As a baseball fan myself, I really enjoyed reading through your blog post. It is interesting to see how much work is done behind the scenes whether it be through advertisements, social media, or promotions, as you mentioned. As a finance major, I can relate to the uncertainty of deciding exactly what I want to be doing. Since there are so many opportunities and positions that come with any major, my internship is also allowing me to gain experience and decide what I like and don’t like in the finance industry. Ultimately, this will help me determine what I will be doing post graduation.

Great pictures, by the way!