Julianne May – Indraloka Animal Sanctuary

I have learned so many valuable skills during my internship at Indraloka Animal Sanctuary/NEPA Rescue Clinic. I’ve intubated animals, improved my venipuncture skills, monitored anesthesia, and learned so much more. I think everything I’ve learned and was able to accomplish has been the most rewarding part of my internship. Also, an extremely rewarding aspect has been the animals I’ve helped. We often have shelter pets come in that have been neglected in some way and seeing the help we provide, and their health improve after care, has been very fulfilling.  

Not to say that this also does not come with challenges. I think the most challenging part for me was watching the neglect cases come in and seeing the status of the animals’ health, or lack thereof. We’ve seen some animals come in with severe hair loss due to flea allergy or upper respiratory infections that cause distress. Therefore, it is hard to see these animals suffering from lack of care; however, watching them improve is so rewarding.  

I’ve attached some pictures of recent patients. I also have an update on the little lamb with the broken leg. We were trying to get the leg to heal after a surgery to repair it, but the leg was not showing improvement and needed to be amputated. Indraloka Sanctuary plans to raise funds for a prosthetic for Loni, because as he grows, his back leg will not be able to support his heavy weight on its own.

Julianne May, Biology

6 Replies to “Julianne May – Indraloka Animal Sanctuary”

1. Julianne,
    Your internship sounds very rewarding, as you were able to provide care and love to animals in need! It sounds like you gained a lot of experience and clinical skills as well as competencies like leadership and teamwork. I love the pictures! Great job this summer…we are happy you were a Royal Experience recipient!

2. Julianne,
    Your internship at the NEPA Rescue Clinic and Indraloka Animal Sanctuary sounds like it was really gratifying and demanding. It’s really amazing the abilities you’ve acquired and the impact you’ve had on these animals’ lives. Witnessing animals suffer must be tough, but knowing you contributed to their healing must be very rewarding. The story of Loni the lamb is particularly touching, and learning about his efforts that went into providing him with a prosthetic limb is amazing. 

3. Julianne,
    It is heartwarming that there are people like you interested in nursing animals back to health after the traumatic experiences they have endured. This internship allowed you to see the amazing impact you have had on their lives, and I’m sure they will miss you when you leave. I can’t wait to see what else you accomplish down the line!

4. Julianne,

Your internship sounds like it was very rewarding and allowed you to help so many animals! It is inspiring to hear about the resiliency of these animals, and the ways you were able to help them. I am sure that this experience will benefit you greatly in your future career as a vet!

5. Julianne, this sounds like a wonderful experience. I’m sure it was challenging in terms of having to see animals enduring suffering sometimes, but I bet that made it even more rewarding too. Best of luck in your future career as a veterinarian!

6. Julianne,
    Thank you for the update on the little lamb and for attaching photos of recent patients. It sounds like you had a rewarding experience being an intern at the Indraloka Animal Sanctuary/NEPA Rescue Clinic. It must have been challenging to see the animals in poor conditions. I am sure they appreciate your care and efforts to improve their health. I am sure you will continue to do amazing things, and best of luck on your journey to becoming a veterinarian!