Kayla Marsac is interning for Northwell Health Healthcare Network

My name’s Kayla and I’m a rising senior at Scranton, majoring in Biology with a minor in Business Leadership. This summer I have been interning for Northwell Health, a healthcare network spanning from Long Island, to Manhattan, and Westchester, NY. I have been working closely with my mentor, Pati Quinn, Senior Administrative Manager of the Imaging Service Line of Northwell, located in Lake Success, NY. By 9:00am I’m in the office, working on a capstone project to increase patient experience within the Northwell system. I’m traveling to different radiology sites across Long Island, meeting with administrative directors, staff, and patients, interviewing and surveying to formulate a way to make Northwell even better. Before I know it, it’s 5:00pm and I’m on my way home, processing information and later analyzing results. It’s a jam-packed day, and I’m loving every minute of it!

This internship is a total duration of 8 weeks, 9:00am to 5:00pm Monday through Thursday, and as a nice bonus, is paid! I definitely have the University to thank for leading me to this internship. As a science major, I always wondered “What’s out there for us?” “Are there actually options for science related summer work?” We constantly see signs around campus pushing us to research and intern and extern, and I thought “I want that too!” So, with a simple Google search, I was shocked at just how many options there were for science students to work over the summer. I immediately sent out my resume, and before you know it, I was on my second round of interviews.

I couldn’t be happier that I found such a great opportunity, and I’m learning something new everyday. My internship at Northwell Health has pushed, even further, my drive to enter the healthcare field after graduation (which is coming up fast!).

This entry was posted in Professional Development Opportunities, Student Research, Student Success Stories. Bookmark the permalink.