The Motorsports Industry

I learned a tremendous amount from my internship at Speedway Motorsports this summer. I’m not sure how the summer raced by so quickly.

The most challenging part of my internship was living in a place that I was unfamiliar with. Charlotte is a gorgeous city with many attractions and many highway systems. I often missed turns and got lost when driving around the city at first. After a few weeks, I no longer needed my GPS to navigate.
The most rewarding part of my internship was meeting professionals that I aspire to be like and work with one day in the industry that I love. The primary reason that I moved to Charlotte for the summer was to surround myself with people that work in the motorsports industry. Charlotte is the hub for NASCAR racing in the United States with NASCAR headquarters, most of the racing teams, and sports marketing agencies located in and around the greater Charlotte area. I was able to receive invaluable professional development advice catered to the motorsports industry from supervisors and professionals that I met throughout the summer.

I am very thankful for the opportunity to have seen the behind-the-scenes view and gain insights on how Speedway Motorsports continues to be a leading innovator in NASCAR. It wouldn’t have been possible without the Royal Experience Summer Internship Program. It will truly be a summer that I will never forget.

The front stretch at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

Mark Miller
Marketing/Business Administration