How working with the Women and Family Ascending Association is Informing My Post-Graduation Path.

Through this internship I hope to put the critical skills I have been developing since my first year in the Counseling and Human Services program to use. I hope to practice being compassionate and empathetic when interacting with clients. A big part of my internship role is contributing to the grant writing team; my hope is to walk away from this internship understanding much more about the grant application process, and the basic requirements a non-profit needs to meet to apply for a grant. Finally, I hope to learn more about the chain of command and communication procedures in a non-profit that relies on volunteers for many of its services. I believe that this internship will inform my future career decisions because I will have knowledge about what working for a non-profit is like and will know whether doing so professionally is something I would enjoy. I will also have experience working with a specific population, women and children impacted by domestic violence. This internship will show me whether I have the emotional stamina to work with individuals in such difficult situations. I suspect that interning with the Women and Family Ascending Association will strengthen my passion for the line of work I am pursuing, help me learn the role of human service professionals in a real world context and will provide me with insight into where I could see myself working after graduation.

Carly Dugan
Counseling and Human Services

One Reply to “How working with the Women and Family Ascending Association is Informing My Post-Graduation Path.”

1. Hi Carly! Your internship sounds very admirable; working with victims of abuse must be a hard undertaking. I am excited to learn more about your experience! Best wishes!