Friendship House

I plan to learn a plethora of new skills and get practical experience from working as a clinical research intern this summer at Friendship House in Scranton. Psychology is a broad major with countless paths, with students typically attending graduate school post-graduation in numerous disciplines. This internship will narrow my interest and guide my graduate school applications. The skills learned at this internship will be a fantastic asset in the future as I learn the components of clinical research trials. This will be a vital skill I can use when researching my projects and helping other professors as a research assistant.

This internship will also assist me in preparing for my University Honors Program research project. It will give me practical knowledge in the area of parent-child interaction therapy, and the skills learned will be put into practice as I develop a research project of my own. This internship will likely accelerate my honors program project, which will be fantastic in the long run. Thanks to this internship, I’ll be able to compose a more complex and detailed project because I understand the information.

I hope to learn many things from the clinicians I will be working with. I hope to ask good questions that’ll provoke thought and meaningful conversations. These experiences cannot be taught in the classroom, so it is a priceless experience.

Lastly, I plan to take full advantage of this wonderful opportunity and I know I will thoroughly enjoy it. The Royal Experience has provided me with this extraordinary opportunity, and I am forever thankful for the Center for Career Development and the Psychology department for always supporting me and assisting me.

Jack Burke

6 Replies to “Friendship House”

1. Hi Jack! This internship seems like a great opportunity for you to learn and grow in skills and experiences. I understand where you are coming from when you say psychology is a broad category, my major criminal justice is also a broad category. I feel like these experiences will help us to narrow down what we are looking to do in the future like you said with graduate school applications. It is good that you are also able to use this experience as part of your honors program research project. I look forward to hearing more about this experience!

2. Hello, Jack!

Your internship sounds so exciting. As a neuroscience major, I know how important psychology is to help us understand our daily interactions with others. I am familiar with Friendship House, and they provide wonderful counseling resources for the Scranton community. I am also in the Honors Program, and it is exciting to hear that your internship will be the catalyst for starting your research.

What are some of your responsibilities during this internship? What future careers are you considering that incorporate your field of study? What has been the most impactful opportunity thus far in your internship? I look forward to hearing more about your experience.

3. Hi Jack!
    Working at the Friendship House sounds like the best opportunity! It is awesome that your intern position will not only help direct your future, but will also positively contribute to your research project. I am interested in hearing more about your future plans for graduate school. Good luck with your internship!

4. Hi Jack,

I believe this internship is a great fit for you. Not only will this provide you with valuable knowledge, but it will also help prepare you for the honors program and assists you with your research project down the road. I hope you enjoy your time at this internship!

5. Hey Jack!

I think it is great that your internship is helping you give a better idea on what you want to do for your Honors Program research project. I just got into the Honor’s Program last year and the research project seems so daunting. I have multitude of ideas of what I want to do but I still cannot decide on anything. Do you think participating in internships tied to my other interests will help narrow down what I want to present?

6. Hi Jack,

I can tell by your blog post you are extremely excited about the psychology field and this internship sounds like an amazing fit for you. I can also tell you will be making the most of this internship and I cannot wait to see how it goes. Your excitement in your post is almost contagious and I know this will be a great experience for you.