Julianne May – Indraloka Animal Sanctuary

I am doing an internship program at Indraloka Sanctuary/NEPA Rescue Clinic in Dalton, PA. The onsite veterinarian gives medical care to the resident farm animals and operates a low-cost small animal clinic and shelter medicine. I have so far intubated a dog, monitored anesthesia, looked at x-rays, drawn and given vaccines, and assisted with restraint of patients. I hope to learn and better develop my venipuncture skills. I have attempted multiple blood draws so far and am still learning to improve my techniques with the veterinarian’s and vet tech’s guidance. I can practice every time we have a patient needing a blood draw, so I hope with time I will improve with this skill.    

This internship will have a massive impact on my future career path since I intend to become a veterinarian. It is vital that veterinarians be proficient in blood draws and venipuncture techniques. While veterinary technicians are often the ones pulling blood, veterinarians need this skill as well. This is especially true in short staff situations and when working as a team. So far, this internship has given me a lot of hands-on experience and skills, and I am so excited for the rest of my internship to see how far I grow. 

Pictured are 5-week-old puppies coming in for their exam and deworming. The lamb pictured is one that Indraloka rescued; its mother stepped on its leg shortly after birth, resulting in a fracture. The lamb recently had surgery to repair the leg and is now on the mend. 

Julianne May, Biology

8 Replies to “Julianne May – Indraloka Animal Sanctuary”

1. Julianne,
    You have already been able to assist in many things in a short amount of time! I love the pictures you shared. Indraloka provides a much-needed service, and I know you are going to learn and gain valuable skills. I’m looking forward to hearing more as the summer goes on!

2. Julianne,
    It is great that you are committed to learning vital skills like venipuncture under the direction of knowledgeable vet technologists and doctors. The range of duties you’ve already performed, such as helping with blood draws, vaccines, monitoring anesthesia, and intubating canines, demonstrates your dedication to become a skilled veterinarian. Your journey is made even more meaningful by the images of the rescued lamb and the 5-week-old puppies, which highlight the positive effects of your actions on the lives of these animals. Observing the care and healing process is amazing, particularly for the lamb who underwent surgery following a leg injury. Best of luck and I’m looking forward to hearing about your experiences with this internship!

3. Juianne that lamb is so cute!!!!!! I can’t believe all the work you’ve done so far when it’s only mid-June! I know you will improve with drawing blood over the summer! Great work with the animals, I am excited to see your second blog with all you have done.

4. Julianne,
    I am glad you are getting plenty of hands-on experience! I hope this internship either reinforces your desire to become a veterinarian or narrows your career interests. I hope your excitement and determination to gain new skills persist throughout your summer internship. Best of luck to you, and thank you for sharing adorable pictures!

5. Julianne, this sounds like a very touching and rewarding adventure that you are embarking on! I love that you are working to become a veterinarian by broadening your experience with different types of adorable animals. There needs to be more people like you out there with your amazing appreciation for animals, and the hands-on experience sounds very informative.

6. Julianne, this experience sounds very rewarding and fun! It is wonderful how you have the opportunity to improve your skills, specifically venipuncture, and I believe you will gain a lot from the great work you are performing. I admire your passion and love for animals. I absolutely loved the photos you shared of the lamb and puppies; they are too cute! I am excited to learn more about your experience as the summer goes on. Awesome work so far!

7. Julianne,

This sounds like a great experience! I loved all of the pictures, especially of the sheep. This internship sounds like a great way to prepare for a career as a veterinarian. Best of luck to you!

8. Julianne,

What an amazing internship! It must be so rewarding to provide care to these adorable animals. What a great experience this will be for you as a future vet! It seems like you are honing many important skills that you will need to know in your future career, and I hope that you continue to have opportunities to learn. Good luck!