Joe Pernini on graduating with a degree in Physiology

Hi, I’m Joe Pernini, a senior Physiology major at the University of Scranton.

As an incoming freshman, I had originally decided to major in Exercise Science and eventually pursue a Doctor of Physical Therapy degree. After taking Human Anatomy & Physiology my freshman year, I developed a deeper curiosity for the more advanced physiological systems of the body. Fortunately, I heard of the new Physiology major, and decided to switch majors during the spring semester of my sophomore year to further pursue my interests.

This allowed me to broaden my scientific knowledge by taking courses such as General Biology and Organic Chemistry which I would not have been exposed to otherwise. Additionally, this gave me the opportunity to take a variety of very interesting courses including Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy, Genetics, Endocrinology and Reproduction, as well as the Physiology courses specific to the curriculum of the major.

The professors that I have had throughout the last four years were some of the most genuine people that I have met in my life. They truly care about your success and go out of their way to ensure that you have a thorough understanding of the material that is taught. I have been able to meet so many people through the University and have made friendships that will last a lifetime. My time here has been an unbelievable experience, and though it is bittersweet to leave, I am confident with the foundation that the University of Scranton has given for my future.

I still plan on pursuing a Doctor of Physical Therapy degree; however, I will be taking a gap year in order to gain more clinical experience before applying to any programs. I hope that after reading this you will be as drawn to the Physiology major at the University of Scranton as I was.

This entry was posted in Physiology - First Graduates. Bookmark the permalink.