Alum Kelly Carman Writes of Working with Underprivileged Youth

Kelly Carman (BA, English/Secondary Education, 2014) writes with word that, after getting a masters in education here at Scranton, she is looking to pursue a career working with underprivileged youth.

As she writes:

After I finished graduate school, I subbed in the Scranton School District for a year… I loved the kids but it wasn’t for me. Then worked as the Assistant Camp Director at a summer camp in Virginia that caters to underprivileged urban youth, which is still my favorite group of youth to work with. This past fall I worked at Bradford Woods in Indiana as a professional outdoor educator; essentially depending upon the group we took school groups on educational nature hikes and facilitated different activities such as climbing tower, canoeing, zipline, archery and other such activities for other groups. Next week I am off to Southern Illinois to work at Camp Ondessonk doing more outdoor education. I recently found the field of Experiential Education, and right now it seems like my calling or at least something that I am passionate about.

Other than that, I’m not really sure what I’m doing with my life or what I will be doing. I suppose I’m exploring the world and trying to figure it out. I feel like I haven’t really accomplished much but I’m working on it. I’m currently debating going back to school to get my Ph.D in Human Development or potentially putting off a second go at grad school to teach abroad or perhaps go into a volunteer corps. It took me a long time to realize that the human experience is what enthralls me, but I’m not sure at what capacity I want my career to impact it, except that I want to impact it for the better.

We are as proud of Kelly today as we were back when she anchored the women’s rugby team and took part in our classes. We wish her continued good luck and look forward to all she does.