Reflecting on my Research Experience

The most challenging part of my internship, and perhaps the most rewarding, has been learning how to become comfortable with failures. This summer, I faced a failure in the lab nearly every day. I quickly learned that failures are a normal part of science, and are to be expected when approaching an experiment. As the summer progressed I was able to bounce back from failures quicker each time. My ability to approach my setbacks with poise and an open mind improved, and I was able to see myself become a more resilient student.

Another rewarding part of my internship has been seeing my ideas come to life over the course of the summer. I have been planning and designing these experiments alongside Dr. Son since my freshman year at Scranton, so to be able to finally put my ideas to work has been incredibly rewarding. Additionally, working with Dr. Son and absorbing all the knowledge he has to share with me has been a privilege, and allowed me to grow as a scientist.

Watching myself mature both as a person and a scientist this summer has been an experience I am forever grateful for. This internship has taught me skills I can now relay into the classroom, and outside of the classroom in my extracurriculars. I am better able to accept mistakes and setbacks, and have learned that it is from these experiences I gain the most knowledge.

During my internship, I also had the privilege of teaching a class with Dr. Son to the students in the University of Success Program at Scranton. For this class I prepared a PowerPoint about crayfish for the students and organized three activities for the students with Dr. Son. Although not related to my research, this was a great experience where I was able to contribute to a such a special program.

1.An image taken on the confocal microscope of all of the cells in the olfactory organ of my zebrafish that I treated with Zinc Sulfate.
An image taken on the confocal microscope of all of the cells in the olfactory organ of my zebrafish that I treated with Zinc Sulfate.
2.My lab bench. Here, I am performing a stain on my slides so I can image them under the confocal microscope
My lab bench. Here, I am performing a stain on my slides so I can image them under the confocal microscope.
The PowerPoint I gave to the students at the University of Success program.

Jillian Haller ’23
Neuroscience

5 Replies to “Reflecting on my Research Experience”

1. That’s awesome that you were able to teach a class! I agree about failing in the lab: I was working with an under-researched bacterial strain whose growth was highly variable. It felt like I was doing things wrong every time it wouldn’t grow.

2. Hi Jillian,

I know the trials and tribulations of becoming comfortable with failures and setbacks! It’s great to see that you’ve been able to take a positive approach when examining what they mean for your work.

3. Hi Jillian!

The work that you’ve done this summer looks very interesting! It is inspiring that you plan to take the skills you’ve learned in the lab and apply them to other aspects of your academic life. I think we often forget how interconnected all of our experiences are. Thanks for this reminder!

4. I am genuinely fascinated by the research that you are doing. I cannot pretend to fully understand the research that you are doing, but from the parts I do understand, I find interesting. Your attitude towards failure is admirable to say the least. You do not truly fail so long as you learn from your mistakes. Best of luck with the remainder of you research.

5. Jillian,
    I’m super impressed with the amount of work you’re putting into your internship! That’s amazing! It seems like you’ve been working hard for awhile, and it sounds really rewarding. I personally struggle with failure as most people do, so it’s really great that you’re learning acceptance so early on. That’s so necessary in your field, so you’ll have a head start from such a experiences. Best of luck on the rest of your internship!