Graduating Senior Laura Fay Selected for Highly Competitive Teach for America Position

Laura Fay, an English minor and editor-in-chief of our college newspaper, The Aquinas, reports that she has been selected for the Teach for America program and will have the opportunity to work in an under served elementary school in Milwaukee. As part of that work, she will earn her teaching certification.

Laura Fay

As Laura writes, “I’m an English minor (journalism & electronic media/philosophy major and Spanish minor), so I would say the most important thing I’ve gained from the department that specifically applies to Teach for America is critical thinking skills, which will certainly be important for teaching. However, the reading and writing skills I’ve gained have definitely helped me in other areas, such as working as editor-in-chief at The Aquinas and as an intern in two newsrooms. Those positions helped me develop leadership skills and taught me to work under pressure, which will also help me as a teacher and definitely helped my Teach for America application.”

The program is highly selective, with only 15 percent of applicants being chosen. It’s been described as a domestic Peace Corps, and Laura’s participation in it is one example of the kind of service we are proud to see from our students and alumni.

Congratulations and best of luck to someone who brought a lot to our campus while we were lucky to have her.