Northport Historical Society

I have known ever since I was a young girl carting books with me everywhere I went, that I wanted to work in a library. This past semester, Dr. Ganges gave a talk to English majors sharing her archival research experiences in Scotland. Her discussion made me think about pursuing a different career focus. This seemed like a similar niche about organizing information and having a real influence on how people access information, but different from the work of a librarian. My summer internship at the Northport Historical Society is a unique way to work on research skills that could lead to a future career either at a historical archive or special collection library. I am gaining skills that could be used in this area but working with local artifacts from the Northport (Long Island, New York) Community. Each artifact I process needs to be evaluated and cataloged. I have assessed photos, newspaper articles and other various historical items. By learning how to catalog these historical documents and artifacts, I am learning about how The Society also hosts various community events that will give me experience working and interacting with the members. This experience will broaden the opportunities of my career path to look at history more than just the bookshelves in a library. By having experience with special collections including historical documents my career path could be broadened to working in museums as an archivist.

Amelia Semple

6 Replies to “Northport Historical Society”

1. Hi Amelia! This internship experience sounds extremely interesting. It is so cool that you are able to work with real artifacts in this historical society museum. It is also cool that you are working in a library environment like you have wanted to since you were little. The idea of this environment being like a library plus the research experience seems like a cool experience for you and to further your career! I look forward to hearing more about this!

2. Amelia,

I’m glad to hear that you are doing something that you have dreamed of since you were little. It’s great to hear that this idea was triggered by a talk from a professor. It’s always amazing how events like a talk can completely change a career path. The work described sounds fascinating. It sounds really interesting and it sounds like you enjoy doing it which is great. The skills learned from this internship will stick with you no matter what career path you choose.
    Excited to hear more about this internship.

3. Hello, Amelia!

Your internship sounds awesome. The responsibilities of an archivist are not something I am entirely familiar with. I absolutely love your enthusiasm for this field of study, and I can tell that you are dedicated to this work. Uncovering history and understanding its significance is a very insightful and rewarding job, and knowing about the past helps us to better grasp and appreciate the present.

What sparked your interest in reading, history, and artifact conservation? What are some documents and artifacts you have already come across? Can you see yourself continuing this line of work? I look forward to hearing more about your experience.

4. Hi Amelia!

Your internship at the Northport Historical Society sounds like the perfect opportunity for you to find your dream career! Your open-mindedness towards new experiences is inspiring. I hope you are able to share your love for books with others. I cannot wait to hear more about your internship and I love your pictures!

5. Hi Amelia,

I think this internship fits you perfectly and aligns with your career goals of working in a library/historical archive. I believe the experience you will gain from this internship will help you immensely when it comes to taking the next step in your career!

6. Hi Amelia,

This internship sounds like a great opportunity to further your experience working, even if it isn’t in the exact field you are planning on, which is a great thing! Your ability to be open-minded is an amazing thing to have, and I am sure that you will find something beneficial out of your internship as a result. It also sounds really cool to be working in a place where you get to learn about some history. I look forward to hearing more about your internship!